Rear End Gears and No ABS ? One wheel Spinning help 8.8

Rippin6Gears

Reaction score
So bought this 01 v6 convert as a project... Well the previous owner who didn't speak that great of English had a GT rear end put in it is what I got out of it... Half asssin install if you ask me. I have no idea what year or gears are in it, my abs light is on(no rear sensors and wires cut just hanging on the rear end), trac is always off(light is always on telling me probably due to the abs sensors), and I have what it looks to be orginal brake lines off whatever car is came off of just hanging on the rear end still(hard lines with a tee on the passanger side and rubber hose with square connections for the calipers just hanging on each side). I will post pics.

1) So what gears would I have? Have to go under and rotate driveshaft vs tire rotation to find my gears?

2)What to do with the rear with no abs sensors and light on? Just take the bulb out in the dash?

3)what to do with the brake lines from original rear end just abandoned?

Don't mind the exhaust, found a 98 cobra exhaust for $40 putting on her.

9D9C1F52-E563-4433-8D9A-76197C44010C_zpssglzv2sj.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
Why not just find the right axles, get the rear sensors back in there, and make it all work?

If the rear end has the tag, it would be on a pumpkin bolt, it will tell you the ratio. But no telling if it's correct or not, so you're left with counting the rotation. Put chalk marks on the companion flange and an axle, turn axle 1 full rotation, count the turns on the companion or driveshaft.

Axles from a 7.5" will work with a 8.8, so if you find someone with the right axles for sale (with the ABS rings), they should work. Unless the PO used 31 spline for some odd reason, but you never know. I just had to do the same thing for a 99 GT, he had ABS, the rear I got did not, had to swap axles that were from a 7.5". Everything worked just fine. Then just get a pair of sensors from a yard and you're good to go.

What do you mean with your #3 question, are the brake lines not hooked up? Or do you mean the ABS sensors?

OP
OP
R

Rippin6Gears

Reaction score
thanks RichV Yeah no luck on the tag, its missing of course. did a little research on it with no luck without opening the diff up. #3 question about brake lines is in the picture... hard lines are not hooked up to anything from the old rear end but go into the metal tee with a breather of some sort, not sure what to do there....

Ugh... I tried to find out gears but spinning the driver side wheel front or back... doesn't do anything in gear or netural. The passanger side will turn the drive shaft no problem... While turning the pass side, it doesn't move the driver side at all forwards or backwards. I got 13 3/4 drive shaft turns off 10 full wheel rotations which still doesn't tell me much since am clueless. Figure i would just have to turn the wheel once to get a 2.XX-4.XX number to tell me what gears. Only got little over 1 with a full turn doing one turn. The whole driver side not turning at all left me thinking I have a problem with the diff, maybe I dont. Any help?

RichV

Reaction score
Your brake lines are on the body, the axle lines can be removed. The diff is probably from an older Mustang. Sounds like an open diff. If you Jack up both rear wheel and place tranny in neutral, if you spin one wheel and the other one spins the opposite way, you have a traklok, if it does not spin, you have a open rear. If it spins the same way you probably have a spool or welded gears.

try counting again, trans in neutral, spin the passenger side wheel while counting the revs of the driveshaft. 1 turn of the wheel should be 3.xx turns of the driveshaft. May be easier with someone under the car. That way you don't have to count 2 things at once. :)

OP
OP
R

Rippin6Gears

Reaction score
I will check again without popping the cover but defiantly thinking it's an older rear end. I'm pretty sure I only got 1 1/4 turn on the drive shaft with one full wheel rotation. I was expecting 3.xx or atleast 2 turns but didn't see it.

RichV

Reaction score
Ya, count again. A 1:1.25 ratio would do like 100mph+ in 1st gear. lol

OP
OP
R

Rippin6Gears

Reaction score
Have to be doing something wrong.... Car from park to neutral... Turned the passanger wheel/wheel off so I marked a stud and rotated it a full turn while watching the drive shaft, drive shaft only turned a little bit over 1 1/2 turn with 1 full rotor/wheel turn.

0CAB6B9A-1225-4B9E-AC19-B60FE66A1CD3_zpsyuuaz2f3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online