rear end help

pgfdv6

Reaction score
so let me get into the back round first this past Thurseday night went out with some friends to a few local meets and v did quiet a bit of spiriting driving particurally between me and 11' R/T challanger....none the less all night I spun threw 1st/2nd but towards the end of the night got a strange clicking noice that sounds like its coming from the left rear but only on deceleration and starts at about 30-25 mph at first it wasnt too bad but now definetly doesnt feel safe to drive....

ive since got the car back to the shop and all I know so far are that the rear upper control arm bushings that connect to the pumpkin are no good but pretty sure there were no good when I bought the car so tho ill be replacong them I dont think this is my problem. all the brakes in the rear appear to be fine, the U joints appear to be fine. if you stand directly under each rear wheel and lift there is a hair of play but its equal on both sides.

the noise dosent happen on acclereration and also does not go away from shifting the weight of the car back and forth

any ideas??????
thanks in advance

BigBore96

Reaction score
Just want to clarify. Does it make a clicking sound and noticeably vibrate?

If you are 100% its at the rear. Lift the rear and put it on jack stands and remove the diff cover. Could have broken the main an/or pinion gear. I've broken a few back in the day with the stock rear ends.

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
Just want to clarify. Does it make a clicking sound and noticeably vibrate?

If you are 100% its at the rear. Lift the rear and put it on jack stands and remove the diff cover. Could have broken the main an/or pinion gear. I've broken a few back in the day with the stock rear ends.

I removed the diff cover tonight and everything looks to be intact plenty of fluid came out as well all though I’m barely getting the noise with the car in the air and now that I have pulled the cover I don’t here it all seems like it’s only when the weight of the car is applied.
Is when it’s loudest also I have 373’s in there as well.
Again the noise is a rotational click/tick noise when coasting around 25 or less.
928dea30fa70a7c1a6ff19073e14e824.jpg

9ff3dbc5272ec992942e26317d45ee0b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m with pinky. Wheel bearing.

But since you dumped the fluid in the rear end make sure to get the right amount of friction additive while your at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEURON

Reaction score
A bad wheel bearing usually gets louder when making a turn and weeps at the backing plate/shaft interface. Also can have a bit of play when you lift the wheel on jackstands.

thugstang

Reaction score
Have you done a brake job recently? I installed aftermarket slotted rotors and I actually had to re align my whole rear brake system, or could have damaged a pad with your fun night out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Staff online

Members online