Rear Main Seal Leak

papac0rn

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Have an issue with my 1994 Cobra leaking. I asked a local shop to replace the rear main seal and they did. They put in a felpro telfon seal and its still leaking. Took it back today and they tried a sleeve and a seal which still leaked. They are a local shop and are pretty honest. They called me and asked me for suggestions. The only thing I thought was to put a Ford Performance seal in and maybe double check that the oil pan wasn't leaking too. Anything else I should ask them to check? They said they checked the PVC system and it's working fine.

Just looking for thoughts.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I thought my main seal was leaking, Turned out to be the oil pan gasket.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought my rear main was leaking but it turned out to be the valve covers. Its hard to see on the back of the motor where it was draining down till I got the trans off.

OP
OP
papac0rn

papac0rn

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I did the valve covers over the winter. Used the nice felpro blue. . . I talked with them this morning again and they feel teflon gasket is too stiff. I asked about the oil pan gasket too. Think they are annoyed with me. Told me its obviously the rear main and would let me know when the Ford seal is in. . . Stay tuned.:)

Road_Runna

Reaction score
From my experience and many others on other forums, the ten dollar more expensive teflon's suck and will more than likely leak. Just get a non teflon and be done with it.

OP
OP
papac0rn

papac0rn

Reaction score
Thanks guys. They got it all squared away. They put in the Ford Performance seal which seemed to resolve the issue. They said the Ford seal had a spring in it where the Napa and Teflon one did not. Got my Ford Performance Clutch, flywheel in and a new harmonic balancer too. Fingers crossed I can't back on the road this weekend.:)

Road_Runna

Reaction score
Felpro seals also have the spring that loops around the inside lip of the seal. There's also the special tool that greatly helps pulling an old one out,H recommend it for future swap'o'roos.
Congrats on getting it back on the road. I'll be doing the same soon as soon as I get my timing done, new tire and getting it registered with the state.

Last edited:

94StewFord

Reaction score
Thanks guys. They got it all squared away. They put in the Ford Performance seal which seemed to resolve the issue. They said the Ford seal had a spring in it where the Napa and Teflon one did not. Got my Ford Performance Clutch, flywheel in and a new harmonic balancer too. Fingers crossed I can't back on the road this weekend.:)
Can I ask what they charged you?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are you sure its the rear main? I thought mine was until I was able get under it with the trans out and then I could see the oil trail went up to the top/back of the lower intake. You could not see it with the trans in there but if you ran your hand up the back you could feel the oil

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010