Rear Mount Turbo

RUSH_Alloyz

Reaction score
Hey, I'm in the process of rebuilding an engine I had laying around since my PYP engine had a blown head gasket. But besides that I was thinking on adding a turbo and instead of mounting it in the front like On3 and making an exhaust manifold I thought placing one in the back with a y close to the engine and placing it where the mufflers are currently. Then for the Oil system I though on making a standalone oil system with an oil pump for the turbo. Would this work/ any thoughts on something ive missed?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Wow.....how do these threads slip by those of us always watching the forum?

I think you are on the right path with your ideas from what tidbits of knowledge ive picked up over the years.

Someone here has the experience and will eventually chime in

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't think I remember anyone doing a rear mount turbo on here. After spending some time this past week under the car with the wiring around the exhaust I personally would hate to figure out how to run all the plumbing myself, but would be curious to know how to do it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If i remember, the turbo oil system needs orifices to keep pressures in check. One before and after so to not blow oil out the turbo...?....

spittinfire

Reaction score
You know they make oil-less turbos now. You can mount them just about anywhere in any orientation. A shop we sell transmissions to has been using them for a little while with great results. There is a specific grease that has to be used and it's expensive but you don't use much so it's not really a big deal.

tvsn95

Reaction score
Well that's just fascinating, What little I read they don't appear to have long service life , but for drag cars would be simple to setup, There has been rear mounts done in the past and there once was a company selling them, the efficiency will be bad due to energy loss in plumbing , but that could be sized out in a steady state app. much like a generator setup. It would probably suck in a street car application.
sounds like an interesting project.

OP
OP
R

RUSH_Alloyz

Reaction score
So, I wanted it to be as reliable as possible. The only 2 things that I have questions on is any recommendations on what I should look for in a electric oil pump that would last a long time and how much psi/gpm??? The other thing was in the exhaust/charge piping, I was planning on taking the driver side exhaust downpipe straight into a Y under the trans and run the exhaust pipe down the driveshaft tunnel on one side. Then for the charged Pipe down the other side of the tunnel but with the stock K-member there's no where to route the charge pipe into the engine bay, So here comes my other question, Can I cut a hole into the bottom of the car, say on the passenger side and then a hole into the firewall and run the charge pipe through there? I was also planning on making the turbo oil tank out of steel and putting it in the trunk.

95opal

Reaction score
So, I wanted it to be as reliable as possible. The only 2 things that I have questions on is any recommendations on what I should look for in a electric oil pump that would last a long time and how much psi/gpm??? The other thing was in the exhaust/charge piping, I was planning on taking the driver side exhaust downpipe straight into a Y under the trans and run the exhaust pipe down the driveshaft tunnel on one side. Then for the charged Pipe down the other side of the tunnel but with the stock K-member there's no where to route the charge pipe into the engine bay, So here comes my other question, Can I cut a hole into the bottom of the car, say on the passenger side and then a hole into the firewall and run the charge pipe through there? I was also planning on making the turbo oil tank out of steel and putting it in the trunk.
I wouldnt use steel for the tank. Your exhaust sizing and routing are critical with a rear mount turbo. The efficiency of the turbo is significantly affected by your hot side. Aside from the cool factor rear mount on a mustang just isnt worth the hassle.

OP
OP
R

RUSH_Alloyz

Reaction score
I wouldnt use steel for the tank. Your exhaust sizing and routing are critical with a rear mount turbo. The efficiency of the turbo is significantly affected by your hot side. Aside from the cool factor rear mount on a mustang just isnt worth the hassle.
Yea with all due respect, I knew that already but was looking for answers like what size tubing for the exhaust and what size for the charge pipe, My friend said around a 3" pipe and that it shouldn't effect lag or efficiency as long as I didn't go too wide on the piping. Why shouldn't I use steel for the oil tank? I planned on using steel since I have a welder that can only weld on that. Another thing was that I wanted it to look as stock as possible and don't have the biggest budget which is why I didn't want to upgrade the k-member.

95opal

Reaction score
You havent even told us what size turbo your running or what headers your using. Impossible to determine a diameter without that info.

OP
OP
R

RUSH_Alloyz

Reaction score
You havent even told us what size turbo your running or what headers your using. Impossible to determine a diameter without that info.
Yea, mb I was going to run a Rev9 TX-60-62 Turbo Charger 70 A/R. And I have close to stock headers that the previous owner made they're slightly bigger. But If needed I was going to get a new set of headers

badass98svt

Reaction score
I have a low mount turbo, but nothing out back like you describe. If I recall, STS made a rear mount kit.

I love my custom low mount setup. It's sneaky sneaky. Under the hood, it looks pretty much stock.
IMG_04891_01.jpg
IMG_04811_01.jpg
IMG_04791_01.jpg20200618_110554.jpg
IMG_03331.jpg

Last edited:

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Besides the point of just being different... why? These cars barely have enough room under them for the factory exhaust, let alone running multiple new pipes and finding a hole big enough for a turbo under the car. As far as keeping it reliable, adding a handful of extra systems, custom built, with no real experience to back it up sounds like a good recipe to have a headache later on down the road to have a system that probably won't be optimized for the amount of effort and time it'll take to make it work correctly.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought the first and really the only place I had heard of them being used much was on corvettes where there just wasn't enough room for all the extra stuff under the hood which was why it went out back? I can't say I know anyone in real life or virtually that has one on a mustang.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i once thought about the turbos , then i looked under the hood and said to myself where would i put it
super charging was a hell of a lot easier

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online