Rear Mount Turbos(Video). Thoughts and Expiriences so far.

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Last year I decided to twin turbo my 94 cobra and what a crazy experience it has been.Overall I love this thing even after all of the headaches I have gone through. Also I know that rear mount is not the most efficient way to turbo a car am still having lots of fun with it. I have put many miles on this car boosted maximum boost I have hit is a little over 15psi, Its had its fair share of problems with methanol injection and head gaskets but still it has been a great learning experience. The turbos are extremely loud and it turns everyones heads, This has been both a good thing and a bad thing with the police.

Why I mounted in the rear: I did this because with my fabrication skills there was no way I would be fitting to large turbos in the engine bay. Mounting the turbos in the rear was super easy to do but did require some serious thinking as far a how to position thing and run lines.

Would I mount in the rear again? The answer to that is yes, although it may be less efficient, there just something about the rear mount that I like. I couldn't tell you why but I just like it.

Problems I had run in to: TUNING was very tough for me to begin with the computer does suck to tune and I have learned a lot but I am still no expert and sometimes I wish I just went with an fmu but I have gained a lot of knowlege through my many failures. right off the bat I started boosting 14psi, I blew many head gaskets in this process and it is probably a miracle that nothing has happened to the block the diy methanol systems has been a pain the ass as well.

Now update: 14 psi is too much for the junk kuhmo tires my and diy meth systems has also been having problems on and off. Meth is gone,for now so I have since gone down to between 4 and 8 psi depending on who I am racing(car has been re tuned since the meth systems has broken., I am tired of going through gaskets and would like to reliably drive this car for the rest of the summer then look into doing a new block possibly during the winter. Also no I have not yet gotten the car on the dyno yet because I am planning on doing a new engine block and trans so when the build is done it will for sure get there, sorry I know everyone wants to see numbers but just be patient with me I go to school and work as well.

However I know people have been wanting to hear the thing so I do actually have a small 4 psi roll on throttle pull just so you guys can hear the sound. Keep in mind I have no intercooler or meth so I'm being easy on the car until I get that fixed, and also yes I did re tune this is safe dialed back timing since my Intake temps and octane are way lower without meth.
;">[video=youtube;7ruDZ-oXHvg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ruDZ-oXHvg[/video]
Also More videos are to come as soon as I get the meth taken care of, or possibly ditch the meth and go air to air intercooler? I'd like to know your thoughts on the air to air?
IMG_20150320_162959.jpg

IMG_20150320_163125.jpg

Royal96

Reaction score
Rear mount turbos have always intrigued me because I love the flexibility and almost "stealthiness" of it, but have always been a little skeptical of it due to spool times. With twins it may not be as bad, but what is your experience with the spooling? How quick does it start to build boost?

As for the FMIC, I would personally definitely run one. Easier to tune for than meth (I believe) and definitely better than nothing. Plus the piping shouldnt be a challenge at all.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Rear mount turbos have always intrigued me because I love the flexibility and almost "stealthiness" of it, but have always been a little skeptical of it due to spool times. With twins it may not be as bad, but what is your experience with the spooling? How quick does it start to build boost?

As for the FMIC, I would personally definitely run one. Easier to tune for than meth (I believe) and definitely better than nothing. Plus the piping shouldnt be a challenge at all.

I thought they would be stealthy too but everyone knows they are there when you hit the gas haha. But spooling does not take very long. I haven't driven a front mount turbo Mustang but it spools faster than some of my friends audi s4s. I'll try and get some better videos of the spool

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online