Rear Quarter Window Issue........

94StewFord

Reaction score
My rear quarter window just makes noise and won't roll up! Motor is working, but it makes a knocking sound and won't roll up.

Suggestions????

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
isn't there a bushing that is known to go out? I never did it so I can't remember for sure but I thought I had seen something about it.

07GtS197

Reaction score
There are 3 bushings/plugs in the window motors. I thought that was a panther thing but could be with our cars too.

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
pretty sure we have them in ours as well
Found this thread...........

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Hey 94stewford, no sooner do I post my thread then I see yours, ha! Sounds like we have the exact same issue. Just open my rear right quarter to have a look. It's probably not you motor but the regulator's teeth in the gear. You might have broken off a few and thus it just sits there grinding away not able to catch any teeth to move her.

b1pig

Reaction score
Most likely the plastic "rollers" inside the window motor gear assembly. 3 out of 4 windows on my 94 Vert were doing that when I bought it. I just used some properly sized metal nutserts that I had in my shop. Added a little duct tape around the nutserts to take up slack and to also put a little "give" between the pieces. At least for a little while, anyway.

I cleaned up all the plastic powder that was crunched up in there, greased it up and put it back together. Works like new. Didn't cost me a thing but time. Besides. Any use of duct tape in the repair of a car increases the likelihood that it won't break again. :)

The teeth on the regulator arm are metal. Even though I have seen a photo of them worn/broken on here, I will still say it is exceptionally rare since the plastic bits are the weakest links and I believe Ford put them in there as a wear item. And possibly to act as a sort of "fuse". What I did was the equivalent of wrapping a blown fuse in aluminum foil... I shall accept my consequences.

The pieces in question would be those little cylinder bits in 74409.

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
The pieces in question would be those little cylinder bits in 74409.

Ordered those on Tuesday and they should be here today...... ;)

maillemaker

Reaction score
How did your repair go?

Mine started doing this exact thing today. Motor is making clunking noises and window barely moves.

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
My fix went fine. I replaced the regulator making sure the one I bought still had all its teeth on both ends. That was my issue. But since I had it open I did replace the little plastic rollers... inexpensive and easy to replace. I would check both. What ended up taking the most time was ensuring when I tightened up the regulator to the glass it would make a waterproof seal when rolled up. I took my time adjusting and eventually got it.

maillemaker

Reaction score
I just ordered a remanufactured regulator assembly from Oreilly for about $70. Figured I could buy the bushings above but want to get the job done tomorrow. Part should be delivered to store this afternoon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online