Rear Ride Height for Drag

JKady

Reaction score
I'm kinda bored with going around corners and all the track events in my area are hopelessly expensive anyway so I'm going back to the straight line thing. General consensus seems to be that the best rear spring setup is stock GT springs minus a coil. I swapped my stockers back in tonight, sans the top coil and damn the things got the stink bug stance now. I've seen pics of other cars with this spring and they all seem to sit closer to the height I was at on my Sportlines. Car definitely grabs harder now and actually transfers some weight, am I gonna going to lose anything if I knock another half coil or so off to get the ass back out of the air? I'm planning on 4cyl springs up front until I can afford to go coilovers.

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
Go on and cut another coil out and you'll be sitting right.
I know it'll sit where I want it if I do another half to full coil, but I'm concerned about losing the traction I gained with the spring swap if I do so.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I know it'll sit where I want it if I do another half to full coil, but I'm concerned about losing the traction I gained with the spring swap if I do so.

For what it's worth, I cut a 1.7 60 foot with my bone stock AOD foxbody coupe last year with 3 coils cut off stock springs. I know plenty of people cutting great 60 foots with cut stock springs.

McCloud

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I cut a 1.7 60 foot with my bone stock AOD foxbody coupe last year with 3 coils cut off stock springs. I know plenty of people cutting great 60 foots with cut stock springs.

zmax9.jpg

I agree. I used 4 cyl front springs and cut stockers in the rear of my Mach 1. It sat nice and would cut consistent 1.78s with DRs.

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score

That's the info I was after, thanks. Guess I'll pop em out this weekend and do some more cutting. It went from no-hop to wheel-hopping like crazy with the spring/height change too, hopefully some drop will make it happy enough till I can get some tubular arms.

I agree. I used 4 cyl front springs and cut stockers in the rear of my Mach 1. It sat nice and would cut consistent 1.78s with DRs.
Is that height with full length 4 banger springs or are they cut as well?

McCloud

Reaction score
That's the info I was after, thanks. Guess I'll pop em out this weekend and do some more cutting. It went from no-hop to wheel-hopping like crazy with the spring/height change too, hopefully some drop will make it happy enough till I can get some tubular arms.

Is that height with full length 4 banger springs or are they cut as well?

I think they were cut 1/2 coil. It's been 5 years since I've installed them and 3 years since I've seen the car so I honestly can't remember 100%. I'd put the springs in first and see how they sit. You can always cut more if they're too high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online