Rear sway bar hitting differential cover?

Drw814

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 2003 Mach 1. Recently I did all new tubular control arms and a BC Coilover kit. The car is probably ~4” lower than stock and rides great. I have noticed a very annoying clunking noise over certain bumps coming from the rear end. Upon further inspection, the rear sway bar appears to be hitting the differential cover. I took out the angle grinder and shaved some material off the differential cover to try and make enough of a clearance to prevent this contact, but it’s still happening. I believe this is the stock sway bar. Does anyone know of an aftermarket setup or alternative that would give me more clearance here? In the pics the axle is at full droop with the car on jacks, with the car on the ground the sway bar is pretty much touching the diff.9CFDFEB0-37BC-4C1B-9AFA-DEB62911F621.jpeg

45CBBAE0-8B56-46B9-98D3-F286F2F65215.jpeg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
is that the stock diff cover? my 94 was just stamped steel and when I swapped it out I had problems with my sway bar as well. I ended up grinding some of the cover down in one spot to make space.

Reaction score
Like Frank said it may be upside down. Also, that cover looks like it's for an independent rear suspension car. If it is that's why it is hitting and you had to clearance it.

95opal

Reaction score
I dont see any marks on the diff or sway bar. Id say more than likely your pumpkin is hitting the pinion snubber.

Reaction score
I dont see any marks on the diff or sway bar. Id say more than likely your pumpkin is hitting the pinion snubber.
If you look at the first picture, The bottom left fin has a half moon rub spot. In the second picture, the cover has been clearanced. Now it's hard to say if it was the swaybar hitting without seeing pictures of the other side of the swaybar. As you mentioned 95opal and I agree the pinion snubber may be hitting. Considering he says it's lowered 4 inches. If this is the case I strongly recommend an adjustable pinion snubber Drw814.

JDMac34

Reaction score
What lower control arms are you using, and are they upside down? It looks like your sway bar is mounted on top of the lower control arm.

Reaction score
He says it has coil overs I don't see any evidence of them in the pictures. Maybe on the front? So if it has standard springs in the rear then the control arms are on correctly because of the spring perch. Now if it did have coil overs on the rear then the lowers can be put on either way.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Can you post a photo of how the sway bar is mounted to the lower control arm? I suspect the sway bar has been mounted upside down.

Dubsport

Reaction score
make sure that the diff cover is not hitting the spare tire welll... ask me how I know :/

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
my sway bar actually hits the spares wheel well when it is all aired out. I went in and made a little room with the bfh.

Dubsport

Reaction score
my sway bar actually hits the spares wheel well when it is all aired out. I went in and made a little room with the bfh.
I almost cried when I saw the carnage... a little finessing with a hammer and dolly and reinstalled the stock cover!

Reaction score
Yo Drew814 please acknowledge the people trying to help you or pull the post. When you post for help or ideas, Be courteous to the people replying because if not we will move on to someone that is grateful for help and or ideas or both.

Last edited:

Monday

Reaction score
I had a problem like this, and like this, I too thought it was the bar hitting the rear end, but the sway bar actually wasn't tight enough and bounced under a load. I know it was loose and couldn't get it tight enough so I just took it off. The knocking stopped that day.

My idea now is to get the holes filled in (welding) and re-drill a larger hole for heavier bolts/nuts. I might even weld the bolts into the new holes. But I would need to resize the l/c-arm's holes as well.

It's not an emergency so I'm not rushing...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online