Reason for my my Cobra pulled such low dyno #'s last year.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
As some of you know last year I ran into a huge brick wall that was full of reinforced concrete and rebar as far as the latest mods on my Cobra and the resulting disappointment b/c of it. To job some memory's

http://sn95forums.com/showthread.ph...few-pics-video-and-got-a-free-dyno-pull/page4

As time passed a cooler head prevailed and instead of just selling the car and saying F Mustangs I figured I would dig in and find out what my problem was. I started by checking port alignment from the lower to the heads and that turned out fine, slight misalignment but nothing serious or to explain what was causing my issues. Next up was to recheck TDC and do a compression check but before I could do that Keith ( The MK2 ) offered to take a look at my tune just to make sure nothing was wrong w/ it. So figuring I had nothing to lose I pulled out the SCT chip and sent it down to him. A few days later what he found was astonishing. My tune was a complete mess, so many incorrect values, wrong settings basicly all kinds of things that were killing me power wise. Some of the bigger issues with it was that my ECU thought I had a 157 CID engine thus the airflow it was getting was way off and I was leaving 4.5* of timing on the table at WOT. He tweaked a lot of the settings on the chip changing over 400 individual settings and values and when I got the chip back and put it in it made all the difference in the world. First of all my CEL that I have had ever since I got the car tuned was gone and wow it had some power, it pulled really hard from what it did before. Keith is going to do some further tweaking on the tune so it is running as it should and I will soon have track times and dyno numbers.

So overall my problems lied in my tune the whole time, it was not port alignment, it was not to small of a camshaft, it was not the camshaft needing to be degreed, it was not compression, it was not this, it was not that, it was the lowest factor it could been and that being a hack job noob tune from what I thought was a professional shop that had tuned all kind of cars ( which they had ) but not w/ out some serious debate and doubts from others and I know join that group. Just an FYI for anyone in the New England area, do not go to Performance Dyno in Louden NH. They are morons and could not even tune a simple NA set up.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Glad your happy with the Mustang again.
Don't ya hate it when a company can "talk the talk" but in reality that's all the company can do "talk".
Any chance of getting your money back? Were you supplied with a before/after sheet with the stuff Keith changed?

OP
OP
Venom351R

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah Keith has everything that as it was when he got the chip and what was changed on it and sent it to me I just did not post it up yet but I can if you guys want to see it. The tune was a long time ago but I may compile all this info and send it to them after I get it dynoed and show them what was wrong and why I am not happy and see if I can get some type of refund. I went to that place twice. Once for the initial tune and chip $450 and for a retune later on $150. This chip was tuned for my old combo with the AFR 185 Heads and shorty headers and TRSR intake and the current combo has not been tuned ( Prior to keith getting the chip ) but the flaws that keith found were fundamental flaws in the tune, the fact I had changed parts since then does not excuse what was found to be so screwed up with it. It was not a few minor corrections that it needed, it was butchered.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Damn!!! T we knew it was gonna be something simple but never expected SIMPLE MINDED people to be the culprit!! I can't wait to hear good things come from this!!

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
It really blows hard when you pay a "professional" to do a job and they completely fudge it up. I'd definitely go back to them and at least try for a partial refund, there's no excuse for this. At least the tune was the fix and you don't have to tear into the motor, awesome Keith helped you out.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Wow, that sucks.

So when you gonna get her back on the dyno?

Curious to see how much you pick up

OP
OP
Venom351R

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Its going back on the dyno June 8th for a club dyno day. 3 pulls for $50.00. Meeting up with Keith next weekend to fine tune the chip. Still has some stumble issues at idle. I just took it out after fixing ( hopefully ) a Power steering leak and it was the first time I really got on it hard in 1st and second. Only word I can think of as for as how to describe it is VIOLENT!!!!. The rear suspension just planted the rear tires so hard, took me by surprise and there is WAY more power then it had before.

RichV

Reaction score
Sweet! Can't wait to see #s. Debating on a 351 for my 65 ... when I get to it.

OP
OP
Venom351R

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I have two friends that have self tuned their own Mustangs and both came out good. I never got into it as much but at least I have a good idea of who I can go to and not go to.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
YAYYAYAYA!!!! glad you kept it man! alot of time and effort went into that bad boy!

Congrats!

feel free to start a thread about them in the "good guys/bad guys" area, too.

ProKiller

Reaction score
that's awesome man. i was reading over the tune stuff on sn95s and was amazed at the things those guys did with the tune.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Yea.. this makes me want to tune my own cars.

OP
OP
Venom351R

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I have an SCT chip, I cant say for sure what software he is using.

This graph shows changes that were made from the way he received the chip. The sections in color have been changed to a higher or lower value.

This graph shows some more corrected values and how the ECU was reading the incoming air as a 157 CID engine.

More changes here.

MIL delay time - reduced
Air charge correction factor - set for no clipping
TB airflow value corrected
Displacement value corrected
Transmission ratios set to T5 values (instead of AODE)
Ignition table scales adjusted (RPM and Load)
Fuel - Open loop base table - remapped
Fuel - Open loop stabilized table - remapped (added fuel)
Fuel - Open loop startup table - remapped
Injector - Cranking PW changed for larger injectors
Spark logic reduced to single table reference
Spark - Borderline and Altitude (disabled)
Spark - Sea level - remapped (added 4.5* total timing)
Spark - TIP in Retard (disabled)

Total cells changed from old tune: 486

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
He is using BE.. You think i could get them.. I like to go thru tunes.. Im trying to get this tunning down so i like comparing tunes..

ram360

Reaction score
wow man, that pretty unbelievable that someone that tunes cars for a living butchered your tune like that. Although I've had my own experiences with some shops that haven't exactly wow'd me either. Good to hear you finally have in running like it should. I'm really interested in seeing what the new number are.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Glad it's a lot better now buddy! I wonder if they tune it wrong on purpose so you have to come back in and spend more $$.

OP
OP
Venom351R

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
RZ5.0 - Im not sure you will have to ask him.

I'm really looking forward to getting the dyno #'s in June and some new track trap speeds. My ET will suck b/c I have not drag raced in 3 years so there is a lot of rust. I'll be at the track this sunday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online