rebuild and piston ?

Suspect

Reaction score
k so i picked up a block and ton of other crap. thing is the guy took it apart to rebuild, but never finished. it was from an 89.. are the pistons forged? what years did they put forged pistons in mustangs? im not trying to spend to much on this so im wondering if they will be fine to use.. and also work with my trickflow heads? i think they are different than the pistons ive seen on sn95s. thats why i ask.

also i was looking at rebuild kits on summit and damn theres a few. so i need help picking one out. a link would be awesome. O0 i just wanna get all the stuff and drop off the block at a shop and have them rebuild it. after that i think i can do the rest.

while im asking what head gaskets should i get?

916_5.0

Reaction score
As far as the forged pistons i believe they are, i think 87 to 93 they had forged pistons, not positive but i think so

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
87-92 had forged pistons. 93+ are hypereutectic.

916_5.0

Reaction score
Oh i didnt know they changed them in 93, i thought they did it starting with the SN's, i guess ya learn something new everyday.

Downshift

Reaction score
Sounds like fun man. Arnt the pistons flat top? Thats what you are talking about right? I have looked at the rebuild kits on summit also and there are a billion. Looking forward to see what you go with.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

Reaction score
thxs guys. i knew they were some years they had them. 8) yea the pistons are flat, might have pushed in circles on the center. i gotta look again. they have some build up on em, gonna clean them off. already cleaned the block with some ez off oven cleaner. worked real good. should i paint it now or wait til the shop gets done with it?

still have to get a rebuild kit. or maybe i can have the shop get it and charge me later. dunno. also got to get an oil pump and whater else i need. now i just got to find a shop close by.

im pretty excited to get all this done and have my new parts go on it. :dancing6:

ripper

Reaction score
Get ARP bolts too Suspect. This might sound stupid but are the connecting rods and crank forged also? Paint the block now. If you have to touch anything up latter it will be easy. And replace your water pump. Sounds like fun wish i was there to help.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

Reaction score
i thought the rods were, dunno. but i doubt the crank is. water pump is on the list. been on the car since i got it. (almost 3 yrs) so yea it needs change.

prolly getting the arp studs instead of the bolts for my heads. and im still looking at rebuild kits.. theres just a bunch. im hoping when i find a shop they can recommend one.

im writing everything down and just crossing it out as i go. cant wait til i get all my parts!

ripper

Reaction score
We used studs on my motor. Problem with studs is if you ever have to pull the heads its tricky getting them off. But it can be done. I know your building a 5.0 but just to give you an idea on quality rotating parts here is what we used on my 4.6

Steve Connington
4.6 P.I. engine components(specs)

Production 4.6 Romeo block, studded mains, bored and stress-plate honed .020( 3.571)
New factory Cobra steel crank
Eagle H-beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts
Probe 18cc dish forged piston (9.1:1)
Factory P.I. cylinder heads with 44cc chamber
Factory P.I. camshafts 192/184 duration @.050 .535/.505 lift
ARP head stud kit and MLS Fel-Pro head gaskets
Balanced rotating assembly +/- 1 gram

I was told (dont know how true it is) that this motor was good to 800hp.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

Reaction score
well guys i posted on a local board about machine shops. they all highly suggested r & r in opelika, alabama. so thats where im taking it and its only a lil more than an hour away! prolly gonna take it here shortly. woot! i will update and take pics. :dancing6:

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

Reaction score
scratch the last post. i decided to slow down and forget about rebuilding it. im gonna get a 331 built instead. i was just too much in a rush to get everything done and get my heads on. after thinking about it and was going to anyways... im going stroker!! :banana: :banana:

so it will be a little bit longer, but i think worth it in the end.

OP
OP
Suspect

Suspect

Reaction score
:D yea and im actually still going back and forth. someone told me why not just go 347?! crap, im so confused right now. lol. i emailed adperformance. so whatever they recommend thats what im doing. end of story, serious this time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online