Rebuild Suggestions?

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
I've got my 1997 4.6 Romeo torn down at the moment. I'm almost ready to put everything back together, just waiting on the bottom end bolts and a way to find some PI heads. The rebuild is mostly stock with some PI heads (hopefully).
What does everyone suggest I go get machined? I'm just gonna fine-wire wheel the block deck myself and make sure it's even with a straight edge and a light, but is it worth getting the crankshaft balanced?

I had a vibration issue before the rebuild because I had bottomed out sorta hard on a speed bump, only vibrated at full throttle in 1st and 2nd. I just want to make sure the crank is still sorta balanced, even if it might not be the issue. Other than that, I know I'll need to resurface whatever heads I end up getting, but I hope to god I don't have to put my old NPI heads back on (cause time is sensitive).

Also, I noticed that the number 5 main bearing has side edges. My bearing kit did not come with this but instead came with 6 thrust bearings. The rebuild book I'm using doesn't specify the number 5 bearing install so I can't figure out exactly what's what with that main bearing. Any help would be appreciated!

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The noise is from the oil baffle in the oil pan got pushed up into the rotating members of the crank and rods when you crashed the bottom of the oil pan.
What to build up comes down to time, NPI heads come in at 5 HP less than PI heads in my tests after porting and decking and, and.. but if you just throw money at it then Trick Flow heads is the most power.

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Whats wrong with using the npi heads?

Well wouldn't I gain 30-50 HP with PI heads? I might port or polish the heads I put on but for the most part the car is going back together fairly stock (block internals and heads wise). All I ever hear about is having PI heads is the way to go.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
To be honest, the biggest upgrade at its simplest effort is the pi head cam intake package on top of the npi short block and you can gain a good amount hp with its compression bump and good cams. This is the main reason why the popularity of pi heads.

But one has to ask, given the same cams intake and compression bump...how would the npi heads compare? Ill answer! The same hp. Its been tested many times throughout the modulars history.

Let me get back to the house and ill confirm the bearing situation. Take some pics for you of what you should be seeing

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
To be honest, the biggest upgrade at its simplest effort is the pi head cam intake package on top of the npi short block and you can gain a good amount hp with its compression bump and good cams. This is the main reason why the popularity of pi heads.

But one has to ask, given the same cams intake and compression bump...how would the npi heads compare? Ill answer! The same hp. Its been tested many times throughout the modulars history.

Let me get back to the house and ill confirm the bearing situation. Take some pics for you of what you should be seeing

I appreciate the pictures!
However I'm not buying new pistons or connecting rods, so getting that compression bump is only attainable through the heads now. I had a set lined up for $200 but the guy hasn't responded. I've heard that I can pull off the similar power bump while keeping my stock intake, so I was just gonna do the heads as a simple mod while I'm rebuilding.

It just took me an hour to find the Romeo main bearing bolts online, the Reid manual isn't the most helpful thing in the world lol.

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
And correction, what I meant about the number 5 bearing is that I got six thurst washers and a regular bearing, instead of three washers and one flanged bearing, and I can't find how the washers are supposed to be installed.
I can guess with common sense that they just seat next to eachother on the cap and top end, but I wanna make sure thats the right way to do it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Man, im sorry for the delay. I got busy with family outings. I promise to get back to the house, snap some pics.

Although,.... To help us figure out exactly what youre trying to tell us, ..a few pics would help to explain!

BigBore96

Reaction score
What bearing kit did you order? I dont know if I've ever seen a kit like that for our cars. It's always been the 3 piece way.

It's been a while so info is a bit rusty but Keeping the npi heads allows for a larger cam than if going pi. MHS had a customer go that route back in the day and his npi car made impressive power all motor for a npi 2v.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Man, im sorry for the delay. I got busy with family outings. I promise to get back to the house, snap some pics.

Although,.... To help us figure out exactly what youre trying to tell us, ..a few pics would help to explain!

All good. I think what I'm going to do instead is order a separate bearing kit that has the 3 piece design just for the comfort of it.

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
What bearing kit did you order? I dont know if I've ever seen a kit like that for our cars. It's always been the 3 piece way.

It's been a while so info is a bit rusty but Keeping the npi heads allows for a larger cam than if going pi. MHS had a customer go that route back in the day and his npi car made impressive power all motor for a npi 2v.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My idea isn't really to cam the car, you don't get much out of that anyway unless you go for big cams which require expensive springs as well. The car may be turbocharged in the future but this is my first rebuild. I want to make sure I can even put it back together right and have an engine that runs for a good while. If I can do that, I'll probably do another rebuild in the future with better rods and pistons

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online