Rebuilding my Old 94 GT

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
So It's been a long while since I've been on here. My 94 GT has been out of commission for over 2 years after I went the cheap route on my engine build and got 3500 miles out of it before the cam bearings failed and snapped my cam. Anyways the old lady said fix it or get rid of it so I'm in the process of fixing it, the car is at a reputable shop and my engine is at reputable machine shop. I figured I'd come back on here and get some input/opinions. So here is the current setup mind you this was a budget build in the beginning.
Stock block with 347 Eagle Stroker Kit Dished JE Pistons ~8.5:1 CR(Was planning on adding boost)
GT40 Heads Race ported with 1.94int/1.6exh valves
Dual valve springs, comp cam pushrods, 1.6 Scorpion RR's
Trickflow Stage 2 cam
GT40 Intake with lower port matched to the heads (Felpro 1250)
70mm BBK TB, off brand CAI, 70 mm MAF for 24lb inj
JBA shorty headers, Off Road H pipe with spin tech turndowns
Rebuilt WC T5, Ford Racing Aluminum driveline, B&M ripper short shifter
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, bbk Adj. FPR, 24lb injectors
KYB AGX 7 way adjustable shocks
King Cobra Clutch kit, ford racing billet steel flywheel
No A/C,smog, or EGR short belted w/ underdrive pullies except Alt pulley stock
Polyurethane motor and tranny mounts, maximum motorsports strut tower brace
Base tune (J3 chip) from Dirty Dirt Racing (pretty sure he's still on here)

That's about all I can remember off the top of my head. Anyways like I said the engine is in the machine shop and I'm supposed to call him later to find out if the block is all good (fingers crossed). The #2 and # 3 cam bearings failed and caused the camshaft to snap. I was thinking about upgrading the CAI and MAF to an AFM power pipe with a 80mm Pro-M MAF, other than that just getting it runnin is good enough for now. I do need a new camshaft though I'm unsure if I should switch or just get another TF stage 2? If I switched would I need a new Base tune? The same goes for the MAF upgrade would I need a new base tune? I would really appreciate it if anyone knows of any shop up here that can dyno tune this dinosaur without upgrading to a stand alone ecu.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Upgrading the MAF and CAI won't require any adjustments to the tune, so long as you get a MAF calibrated to the 24# injectors. And I would just throw another TF2 cam in it for right now. When you decide to add boost, get a custom spec cam made and a new tune.

OP
OP

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
For sh*ts and gig's here's an old dyno sheet I found from before I did the Heads, Cam, ported the intake, and stroked it. Stock 302, stock E7 heads, stock cam, and gt40 intake and all the bolt on stuff listed in my first post. minus fuel system stuff. Oh and it had an SVO RPM extender which did some cool stuff.

OP
OP

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using PMAS 80mm Flanged Mass Air Meter? I could bolt this on to my current setup and skip on upgrading the CAI for now. Ideas on a good 80mm MAF with flange welcome?

OP
OP

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
I corrected my intake valve size, idk why I put 2.02 it's 1.94. Anyways the machine shop guys got back to me and said the block is good so they are starting to put her back together. I asked them to calculate my CR so that will be interesting to know, too bad they don't have a flow bench though I really wanted to get some solid numbers on the heads but nobody that I know of has one around here. One last question is there a comp cams profile that's the same as the trickflow stage 2?

Addermk2

Reaction score
I do need a new camshaft though I'm unsure if I should switch or just get another TF stage 2? If I switched would I need a new Base tune? The same goes for the MAF upgrade would I need a new base tune? I would really appreciate it if anyone knows of any shop up here that can dyno tune this dinosaur without upgrading to a stand alone ecu.

Might as well just get the same cam. Anything better is probably just going to be a waste with the heads youve got.
If you change the MAF, your tune will need to be changed as well
Have you considered remote tuning?
You dont need a stand alone... you are actually quite far from justifying it.

OP
OP

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
Might as well just get the same cam. Anything better is probably just going to be a waste with the heads youve got.
If you change the MAF, your tune will need to be changed as well
Have you considered remote tuning?
You dont need a stand alone... you are actually quite far from justifying it.

I am going to stick with the same cam, I was however wondering if comp cams made a cam that was essentially the same profile. I'm just going to get her going for now and perhaps by the time the break in period is over I may upgrade the MAF and CAI, I'd just have to get my chip back to 2000BLGT. I didn't say I wanted a stand alone just that the shop that's doing the in and out said they can't tune my OBD1 and that they could install a Haltech stand alone to do it but that's way to much doe and I don't need it. They have a 94 cobra in there with a 408 supercharged that they had installed it on. That's why I was wondering what my tuning options are as far as local guys, or even if I could run the dyno pulls after the break in and have them log the data and send it back to the tuner with the chip for fine tuning? What is remote tuning can you elaborate please?

Addermk2

Reaction score
If that shop can't tune your car, you probably shouldn't be going through them at all.

As for the remote tuning... I'm surprised that Willy didn't go over it with you. I always give my customers all of the options.

There is a device made by Moates, called Quarterhorse. You install it just like a chip, and attach a laptop directly to it. You then datalog what the car is doing, and email the log to your tuner. They then make changes to the tune and e - mail a new tune file back to you. You then load the tune and do it all over again.

A good tuner can also log into your computer directly and tune the car on the spot. So all you would do, is drive.

OP
OP

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
Well I got the tune from him 3 yrs ago and haven't got back in touch with him yet. See I used to be wannaboost94gt but I couldn't remember my password or the email address I used so I lost all of my correspondence with him, I tried to email the Mods but to no avail. I do know of the moates quarterhorse but have no experience using it, that is intriguing thought though, maybe something I can pursue after I get the car running again on the base tune. What do they run price wise?

OP
OP

94gt347gt40

Reaction score
An interesting tidbit I found out about today, when I bought the shortblock I was told it had a TF stage 2 cam shaft and had the base tune based on this. Well when I went to the machine shop today I got the part number TFS-51402000, to my surprise that is not the TF stage 2 its TF stage 1! So now here is the question Do I buy the stage 2 since my base tune is based off of that?

Addermk2

Reaction score
I doubt Willy will retune the car for free. Good luck with your endeavor.

Stepping up to the TFS2 might cause more problems than you are ready for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online