Recommended Insurance Company on a Daily Driver

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Ok, so our family has two licensed drivers, me and my husband. Together, we own seven vehicles. 5 are classic cars insured through Hagerty. The other two are daily drivers, insured through USAA. I have documentation proving that I only drive the mustang 2,000-3,000 miles out of the year for several years now, and don’t really consider it a daily driver because of this. But Hagerty says we are required to have two dailies for the other policies to be valid. VIN is for a 94 V6, but is now a V8, with an insane amount of work and money invested in it, and it’s sentimental value is through the roof. This car has liability only on it, due to the lack of payout if fully covered.

What I would like to do is have the car fully covered for an agreed value of $15,000, and be allowed to drive 3,000 miles anywhere I want. I want to be able to drive it and park it without fearing that any simple minor thing will total out the car, because I am now at the point where I am literally too damn scared, even with it parked safely in the garage. What company would you recommend, and do you use it in a similar way that I’d like to?

delling3

Reaction score
You might check progressive. They wrote a policy on a man antique motorcycle that I restored with an agreed value policy. 42515698-FCF5-4B75-A6FA-5A57D2504C3D.jpeg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Ok, so our family has two licensed drivers, me and my husband. Together, we own seven vehicles. 5 are classic cars insured through Hagerty. The other two are daily drivers, insured through USAA. I have documentation proving that I only drive the mustang 2,000-3,000 miles out of the year for several years now, and don’t really consider it a daily driver because of this. But Hagerty says we are required to have two dailies for the other policies to be valid. VIN is for a 94 V6, but is now a V8, with an insane amount of work and money invested in it, and it’s sentimental value is through the roof. This car has liability only on it, due to the lack of payout if fully covered.

What I would like to do is have the car fully covered for an agreed value of $15,000, and be allowed to drive 3,000 miles anywhere I want. I want to be able to drive it and park it without fearing that any simple minor thing will total out the car, because I am now at the point where I am literally too damn scared, even with it parked safely in the garage. What company would you recommend, and do you use it in a similar way that I’d like to?
I'm just an old guy
But I do have AARP I have 7 vehicles on one policy 2 out of 7 are daily driver the rest under pleasure witch I can switch out and miles have to be recorded every year but my rate is very low
Depending on your age you can get it at 50 and put your kids on it if you had to
I am about 68 a month for 7 vehicles fill coverage
That is the lowest I could price in my area

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I'm just an old guy
But I do have AARP I have 7 vehicles on one policy 2 out of 7 are daily driver the rest under pleasure witch I can switch out and miles have to be recorded every year but my rate is very low
Depending on your age you can get it at 50 and put your kids on it if you had to
I am about 68 a month for 7 vehicles fill coverage
That is the lowest I could price in my area

I am currently 38, husband will be 41 this December. We have an 8yo daughter, so by the time we even get close to 50, we will have a 3rd licensed driver to worry about.

Then again, AARP has been trying to sign both of us up since we were in our twenties. Not sure how we got on their mailing list.

07GtS197

Reaction score
From personal experience nothing beats USAA. When I was shopping around nobody came close to their rates with comparable coverage. And their customer service is second to none.

I’ve heard great things about Haggerty but they have so many rules. They wouldn’t insure my 87 Grand Marquis unless it was garaged and it wasn’t my daily. Bare minimum coverage and it was going to be around 100 bucks a month. I pay 38 bucks a month with full coverage through USAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I pay 38 bucks a month with full coverage through USAA.

But what exactly is full coverage? How much do they think the car is worth? My VIN says my car is a 26yo v6 Ford. You can pick these up for $1000-3000. You CAN NOT pick up anything close to my car for that. Heck, probably can’t even buy one with the same interior color. I just don’t want them totaling out my car, giving me a check for $1000 and assume that I can find another one that runs, drives, has working AC, and decent paint. If I end up with $5000 worth of damage, I want to be able to pay a ship to fix my car for that.

I mean, I don’t know how often this sort of thing happens, but I just don’t want to end up in court trying to fight some poor elderly person to reimburse me for the $6000 work I had done 9 months ago, and yes, I keep receipts on everything. And one other thing that really bothers me is the fact that most of my aftermarket parts are discontinued. So they would definitely require repair work, since that can’t be replaced.

delling3

Reaction score
You need an agreed value policy. Most major insurance carriers don’t want to be bothered. As I said in my prior reply, Progressive did write one for me. Another option to consider is Grundy.

But what exactly is full coverage? How much do they think the car is worth? My VIN says my car is a 26yo v6 Ford. You can pick these up for $1000-3000. You CAN NOT pick up anything close to my car for that. Heck, probably can’t even buy one with the same interior color. I just don’t want them totaling out my car, giving me a check for $1000 and assume that I can find another one that runs, drives, has working AC, and decent paint. If I end up with $5000 worth of damage, I want to be able to pay a ship to fix my car for that.

I mean, I don’t know how often this sort of thing happens, but I just don’t want to end up in court trying to fight some poor elderly person to reimburse me for the $6000 work I had done 9 months ago, and yes, I keep receipts on everything. And one other thing that really bothers me is the fact that most of my aftermarket parts are discontinued. So they would definitely require repair work, since that can’t be replaced.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I opted out of towing
I have a flatbed trailer car hauler
No deductible
And it has to be taken to a ford or whatever make dealership body shop
So my 2003 pu got rear-ended truck was worth 17 thou still at the time and did 6 thou in damage it was fixt new bed frame pulled laser straight painted good to go
I sold it a month later

Connie

Reaction score

It's hard to believe, but we went with State Farm. You would think Full Coverage would be ridiculous through them. But, to my surprise, they're very reasonable with Collectable Vehicles. Especially with the wife's '04 Mach1. They consider the Mach to be a collectors car, and the premium is 272.00 every 6 months! It does have 130,000 miles on it. State Farm put a 12,000.00 Value on it. Now, my '03 GT cost more, around 320.00 every 6 months. AND, they don't require a third vehicle for daily driving!! Which is one reason we didn't go through Hagerty. Plus Hagerty would've cost more.

Connie

Reaction score
I used to be “Jake from State Farm.” So no. I can’t use them. :D
Well, that should mean you get one of the PERKS. Just curious, did State Farm supply the 'Khakis', or did you just throw them on before you left the house. HA

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Well, that should mean you get one of the PERKS. Just curious, did State Farm supply the 'Khakis', or did you just throw them on before you left the house. HA

I was given no khakis. I had to buy my own, which was a big deal because they only paid me $9/hr, and all I owned was jeans. They gave me a T-shirt that read “Can I get a hot tub?” It was too casual to wear at work. I have still never worn it.

When I applied, I thought I was doing clerical, but they really just wanted me to cold call people. It was a new location, and they had to make a certain quota by the end of the year. It was very stressful. I already hated talking to people, but now I had to bother them during dinner, and try to sell them insurance?!? Oh they’ll LOVE that!

They thought, “oh young girl, probably has tons of friends, answered an online ad, so you know she must have loads of friends on Facebook too.” They were shocked to learn that I didn’t not even have an account. Still don’t. They wanted to see my contacts in my phone. Mom, husband, brother, cousin, and that was all. The thing was though, my mom was a realtor. My cousin was a builder. My brother... ...just graduated high school, but the last two contacts were golden! I could get loads of high dollar clients, it just takes time.

I remember one of the quotes I ran for them. My moms friend. Realtor of course, because what woman that age isn’t? On the towns board! The boss REALLY wanted a seat on the board. When I name dropped, he was like “how?!? How do you know this person?!?” (She’s like 40 years older than me) “Oh, we went to Europe together.” Because, yeah, that’s how I roll.

Anyway, in addition to my contacts, I am also an automotive enthusiast, clearly, which I made clear to the boss. So I was able to get some sign up quotes for several Porsche owners, and could easily gather more for others. Unfortunately they were the only ones that State Farm did not want to cover! They were too high risk! Won’t insure five 928s? This guy sells parts for these models for a living!!! That’s why he has them!

But I really was interested in the enthusiast market, so they suggested I call up some corporate State Farm department to look into classic and enthusiast car insurance for these future clients. They really couldn’t help me though. They’ll insure a 64 mustang, but a 94 daily driver? No. That needs a regular policy. So I couldn’t even sell insurance to people I knew needed it!

I also did some minor technical support for that location, and also wowed them when they were trying to teach us the software. They told us to ignore the VIN in this case because no one knows their own VIN. For reals? “1FALP444XRF216063.” They didn’t believe it.

But in the few weeks I worked there, they like this younger girl better. She already had two policies. They were for apartment renters that didn’t really own much, because college, and my high dollar ones were maybes. They needed one more week or two. My cousin was also out of town, but I did have an appointment. So I was let go, a week before Xmas, without pay, oh yeah, and I was also pregnant!!! Merry Christmas! I truly believe they were just after people’s contacts. Free up the desk for some other chicks contact list.

But, because I knew how shit got done there, I shredded absolutely everything I ever printed, and removed everyone I worked with out of their system, so they couldn’t call them up every month trying to sell them insurance. Trust me, you don’t want on their list! They will call back. My mom also told the lady I went to Europe with about what happened, so she didn’t get a policy from him either. ...and she had rentals!!!

Connie

Reaction score
I was given no khakis. I had to buy my own, which was a big deal because they only paid me $9/hr, and all I owned was jeans. They gave me a T-shirt that read “Can I get a hot tub?” It was too casual to wear at work. I have still never worn it.

When I applied, I thought I was doing clerical, but they really just wanted me to cold call people. It was a new location, and they had to make a certain quota by the end of the year. It was very stressful. I already hated talking to people, but now I had to bother them during dinner, and try to sell them insurance?!? Oh they’ll LOVE that!

They thought, “oh young girl, probably has tons of friends, answered an online ad, so you know she must have loads of friends on Facebook too.” They were shocked to learn that I didn’t not even have an account. Still don’t. They wanted to see my contacts in my phone. Mom, husband, brother, cousin, and that was all. The thing was though, my mom was a realtor. My cousin was a builder. My brother... ...just graduated high school, but the last two contacts were golden! I could get loads of high dollar clients, it just takes time.

I remember one of the quotes I ran for them. My moms friend. Realtor of course, because what woman that age isn’t? On the towns board! The boss REALLY wanted a seat on the board. When I name dropped, he was like “how?!? How do you know this person?!?” (She’s like 40 years older than me) “Oh, we went to Europe together.” Because, yeah, that’s how I roll.

Anyway, in addition to my contacts, I am also an automotive enthusiast, clearly, which I made clear to the boss. So I was able to get some sign up quotes for several Porsche owners, and could easily gather more for others. Unfortunately they were the only ones that State Farm did not want to cover! They were too high risk! Won’t insure five 928s? This guy sells parts for these models for a living!!! That’s why he has them!

But I really was interested in the enthusiast market, so they suggested I call up some corporate State Farm department to look into classic and enthusiast car insurance for these future clients. They really couldn’t help me though. They’ll insure a 64 mustang, but a 94 daily driver? No. That needs a regular policy. So I couldn’t even sell insurance to people I knew needed it!

I also did some minor technical support for that location, and also wowed them when they were trying to teach us the software. They told us to ignore the VIN in this case because no one knows their own VIN. For reals? “1FALP444XRF216063.” They didn’t believe it.

But in the few weeks I worked there, they like this younger girl better. She already had two policies. They were for apartment renters that didn’t really own much, because college, and my high dollar ones were maybes. They needed one more week or two. My cousin was also out of town, but I did have an appointment. So I was let go, a week before Xmas, without pay, oh yeah, and I was also pregnant!!! Merry Christmas! I truly believe they were just after people’s contacts. Free up the desk for some other chicks contact list.

But, because I knew how shit got done there, I shredded absolutely everything I ever printed, and removed everyone I worked with out of their system, so they couldn’t call them up every month trying to sell them insurance. Trust me, you don’t want on their list! They will call back. My mom also told the lady I went to Europe with about what happened, so she didn’t get a policy from him either. ...and she had rentals!!!

Connie

Reaction score
That sounded scary. We really like our agent. Maybe it depends on the individual Agency you deal with? I suppose if we have a claim, that will be the real test.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online