Recover door panels?

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
I want to see some of you guys' covered door panels. Not the ones that are some kind of deviation from stock. Just some door panels that were maybe covered in vinyl, or whatever material, and then had all the factory trim that it came with, put back on.

So anyone here had their panels covered in any decent, flat material? I'm not looking for shag carpet or anything weird. If I did this, it would be in an attempt to make them look as OEM as humanly possible, so those are the types of cover jobs I'm looking for. Please post up any pics, or links to any threads you know of.

I have the black interior in my 94 GT. As I'm sure you all know, the door panels in the SN-95s are covered from the factory. But what are they covered in? Where would you buy new upholstery, so that they would be redone correctly, at the auto upholstery shop? I doubt they'd have it, so I'd like to just buy it somewhere and take it to them.

bluex

Reaction score
The are covered with vinyl from the factory. Any upholstery shop should have black in stock or be able to get it next day. Your best bet is to stop by a local shop (or a few actually) and see what they want to do the job. I had mine redone for $100. I only brought them the upper portion of the door panel and I had the material to cover the panel as well. He told me that it would $150 if I had brought the entire panel for them to seperate and recover.

I used the leather covers from redline goods. Overall I'm mostly happy with them, I think a little more care could have been taken on the install. The shop I used had done several of these panels in vinyl (or so he said) and he said that was much easier to work with and resulted in a smoother install.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I considered having mine recovered and getting the perforated material added to the cove area (behind handle) like the 94/95 has but kept hitting dead ends. I ultimately found a mint set of door panels with the perforated material for less than it would cost to have recovered.

Check ebay and corral forums etc. There are a lot of low mile, low usage SN's out there that are parted or modified with nice stock parts to be had.

You can search JB's old car on here. He had leather inserts installed to match his seats but retain the "stock" look.

bluex

Reaction score

Wow, thats awesome. I wish the stock tan was a little bit darker than it is. I like the way his interior came together, thats a lot of money to put out though. I have about 1200 in mine so far, the only labor I've paid is having the door panels done. I've done the rest myself. I would like to throw new carpet in mine and the inside will be complete I think. It would be nice to go all out like that on it but you'll never see a return on the investment as the cars just dont have the value currently. For one you plan on keeping though that is the way to go.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
carpet doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor. I went to a automotive trim shop and got a nice thick black unbacked carpet for I think was less then $40. The unbacked carpet means you can pull/stretch it into the corners by doing little more then slapping it into place. I took the old drivers side floor mat holder off and transferred that to the new carpet and a quick cut in the middle left looking like stock from the top. I used a little bit of adhesive In some places like under the pedals and on the corners or other small areas I needed to be sure were held down just needed a small 1" square of Velcro and it will not move. Use the money you saved to either sound damping the bottom of the car or if you have the cash I used and recomend second skins damplifier pro insulator. Its a dual compound piece of material that works 10x better then the jute does and it also doesn't absorb water or cause mold.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

Also I wouldn't be able to deal with some of the wrinkles that are in those pics. The stitching is fine, a lot of brand new cars are coming with stictching just like that. But those wrinkles look as though its been wet at some point. No offense or anything, but just different strokes for different folks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The wrinkles would bother anyone but I still think was just not put on right. I still think if he heated glue lightly that he could fix it.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
The wrinkles would bother anyone but I still think was just not put on right. I still think if he heated glue lightly that he could fix it.

I would like to see some better results as well... all the pictures i've seen have wrinkles and such..

bluex

Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

Also I wouldn't be able to deal with some of the wrinkles that are in those pics. The stitching is fine, a lot of brand new cars are coming with stictching just like that. But those wrinkles look as though its been wet at some point. No offense or anything, but just different strokes for different folks.

They bother me but I'm learning to live with it lol. I don't think there is anything I can do about it now. If I had it to do again I would probably use a different shop.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
out of curiosity have you just tried to warm it up with a hair dryer and then gently try to move/manipulate the wrinkles out? The adhesive most places use is heat activated. Without taking that part up and then relaying it you can't get them all perfect but a little heat and I bet you could work more of them out then you would have thought.

Did you have them wrap it or someone here;l

bluex

Reaction score
out of curiosity have you just tried to warm it up with a hair dryer and then gently try to move/manipulate the wrinkles out? The adhesive most places use is heat activated. Without taking that part up and then relaying it you can't get them all perfect but a little heat and I bet you could work more of them out then you would have thought.

Did you have them wrap it or someone here;l
No I haven't, scared I'd make it worse.

A local shop did it for me. I had to go to 4 before I found a decent price. The first two just didn't want to do it I think as they were crazy high.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Anyone else? Perhaps there is already a thread? As these cars get older, we're going to be seeing more and more door panels that need to be dealt with.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Plot twist: lets see someone retrofit 2010+ door panels into these cars without much modification.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010