Red line goods door panel covers

bluex

Reaction score
Got my panels back today. I got the leather covers from red line goods and had them installed at a local upholstery shop. Here are some pictures of the door panels somewhat back together. I tried using strong double sided tape to hold but it isn't going to work long term. I didn't want to glue/epoxy them because I doubt you'll ever get them back apart then.

Before picture

Dr side:

Passenger side:

I'm not totally happy with them but it is what it is. I don't think I could have done them as well but I still think they could have been installed better. They told me a few days in the heat should help some, guess we will see. If I had it to do over I think I would let the shop redo them in vinyl. He said that's easier to work with an usually turns out better without the wrinkles.

Anyway sorry for the novel, what do you guys think?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It looks a lot better than the one on their site. Still doesn't make me want to order one immediately though.

Is this leather? I wonder if something like suede would smooth out better?

OP
OP
B

bluex

Reaction score
Sorry bud, but I don't really care for it.

At least they look better than they did.
No reason to be sorry, you're entitled to your opinion.
It looks a lot better than the one on their site. Still doesn't make me want to order one immediately though.

Is this leather? I wonder if something like suede would smooth out better?
Yes its leather. He said the problem with it is leather doesn't stretch as much so they can't fit it as well. Idk if I honestly believe that since every door panel I see at work is completely leather covered and wrinkle free....
did they take the old vinyl off the door before putting the new leather on?
Yes they removed the old covers before putting these on.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no he is correct leather does not stretch anywhere near as much as vinyl for example which is why when they cover shape in leather then need the seems to allow for extra/less material depending on the shape.

Not sure what is going on with the drivers side almost makes me wonder if they didn't clean it well enough or what.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
man no offense but that upholstery shop did a terrible job here!! i'm pretty sure i could have done a better job myself. however part of the problem i'd say is the actual covers themselves. i know everyone is huge redline fans on mustang forums but i wasn't impressed with the products i got from them either. good thing i have some decent skill in covering pieces.

as for them fitting better after sitting in the sun or heat...VERY DOUBTFUL man. VERY!!!

OP
OP
B

bluex

Reaction score
I wonder how well it was cleaned myself. I also wonder if a thin layer of foam between the panel an the leather would have helped it be smoother as well.

Tony, y'all aren't going to hurt my feelings, I'm not totally thrilled with them myself but there's nothing I can do about it now. I'm not putting another $225-250 in them to do it again. They look better than they did so I'll have to deal with it I suppose. This could also be the result of going with the shop that gave me the best price. Maybe they would be better if I'd went with one of the shops that was in the middle range of the prices, or maybe I should have tried myself to see how it would have turned out.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I wonder how well it was cleaned myself. I also wonder if a thin layer of foam between the panel an the leather would have helped it be smoother as well.

Tony, y'all aren't going to hurt my feelings, I'm not totally thrilled with them myself but there's nothing I can do about it now. I'm not putting another $225-250 in them to do it again. They look better than they did so I'll have to deal with it I suppose. This could also be the result of going with the shop that gave me the best price. Maybe they would be better if I'd went with one of the shops that was in the middle range of the prices, or maybe I should have tried myself to see how it would have turned out.

yea man that sucks tho. but i agree...definitely an improvement. i'd say maybe try a hair dryer to help rid some of the wrinkles but i can tell they glued the shit out of it underneath lol.

OP
OP
B

bluex

Reaction score
yea man that sucks tho. but i agree...definitely an improvement. i'd say maybe try a hair dryer to help rid some of the wrinkles but i can tell they glued the shit out of it underneath lol.
My wife thinks they heated them to, they had a grain in them similar to the stock covers. In some places they are almost smooth now. Mainly around where it's wrinkled. Would heating them have done that?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
more then likely they used some heat/steam while putting it on. Most of the glues used are heat activated so you could try to warm it up and see if you can manipulate it around. By the look of it though either the leather had a flaw and was a little thicker there, or there was some crap left on the back.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the passenger looks all that bad honestly but the driver side does not look like it fits as well as it should.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the more I look at it now I think what we see there is just which one was the first one installed and which one was the 2nd and a little better placed. Those spots you see I think are nothing more then someone pulling a little too hard in on direction. Realistically this is leather and you could still heat the glue and pull the entire piece off, add a little more glue/adhesive and do it again. I think there is a chance you could work it out though by just heating the area around it then lightly work it out.

OP
OP
B

bluex

Reaction score
I don't think the passenger looks all that bad honestly but the driver side does not look like it fits as well as it should.
Exactly my thoughts too. I wish it was the other way around though so I didn't see it as often lol

OP
OP
B

bluex

Reaction score
Installed pictures:

Did the 460 speaker pods today to, that took a little time there. Guess the panels are different if you have the 460 option stock

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes mach panels are different on the top to allow for the enclosure to go down below it but cutting it off like you probably did will not really effect the sound much at all.

OP
OP
B

bluex

Reaction score
yes mach panels are different on the top to allow for the enclosure to go down below it but cutting it off like you probably did will not really effect the sound much at all.
I did cut them but it didn't get into the part that's the speaker enclosure. Just most of the bottom tab had to go.
passenger side looks ok drivers side not so much, but definitely better than before
Ya I agree, wish it was the other way around but oh well. The best part is the whole interior has the new car smell now [emoji41]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online