redline hood strut people help me for a sec

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I started installing the redline hood strut kit on my carbon fiber hood and got the first one installed. I know the CF is at least 15 lbs lighter then the stock hood, maybe more but with only one strut it is more then enough to hold the hood up and enough slowly push it up after its unlatched. It makes me wonder if I install the 2nd if its going to be on so tight that I will have to be careful that it doesn't fly up so fast it hits me in the face and if I need some lighter struts or just leave these as is as I am sure they get weaker over time?

Suspect

Reaction score
I wouldnt stress it. mine are still pretty strong and they've been on there for a few years. I just stick my fingers where the access hole is and bring it up. I definitely wouldnt stick my chin out and let it come up by itself.. lol

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
WOW that's nice! Put the 2nd one on today and got a semi when it(the hood) went up on its own for the first time. The 2nd one just added enough force that now after that first 3"s it raises nice and slow on its own. I used threaded rivits instead of regular rivits so I can still remove the brackets for when I paint it hopefully shortly. I have actually been ready to go order the paint and start getting the garage ready to prime/paint the engine bay but my damn stomach knows it and will not let me out of the house. I swear it knows when I have something I REALLY want to do.

94scdave

Reaction score
Ive been wanting some struts for a long time. Redlines r awesome but i found some struts on ebay that say roush on the mounting bracket

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea I saw those too but I don't have a roush or any other roush parts on the car and am not big on brands/logo under the hood anyway. Hell I am considering wrapping the struts with some carbon fiber vinyl to go with the hood and cover up the logo. But it is nice to watch it raise up on its own.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have redline, MMR or something rather. But I think the strut is designed to only move at a certain speed. Like I think if you tried extending one quickly there would be a point where it would resist the movement.

Definitely love my struts. Bars just look ugly now.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
mine go up pretty fast at first and then slow down for the last few inches. I love them though they are a great mod, could not imagine going back to a prop rod.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it was strange that last night with only one installed it felt like it was going to spring up really fast with a 2nd installed. I was surprised this morning with the 2nd installed though that it does rise up nice and slow/controlled to the last 4" when it slows down even more. After unlatching it I stand back and to myself say "OPEN SESAME" complete with echos and everything as it slowly goes up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online