refinishing worn and peeling interior pieces....

shipwreck17

Reaction score
I want to repaint the bezel around the radio/ hvac unit and the door handle section of the door panels. First does the section w/ the door handle seperate from the rest of the door panel or is it one big molded piece? Also what procedures / products should i use? I dont like the look w/ random glossy interior pieces. I want them the stock rubberized finish or just flat / semi gloss black. 50resto list a product thats a spray paint that says its the oem rubber coating. Has anyone used this??

paint:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=MET-F 1&comp=LRS

Also i wouldnt mind doing a slight black / white theme w/ the inside of my car....

Its a 98 tripple black cobra so thats alot of black and it already has white face gauges. So i was thinking if i painted that part of the door panels white and the bezel around the radio and shifter white. Then I would also get this steering wheel cover with black sides and white top/ bottom to replace my worn out one.

steering wheel cover: (like this but w/ colors reversed)
et_lg4.jpg

Is the white thing a good idea or would it look ricer or just bad. I need to do some more sitting in my car and visualizing

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
id do a google search on painting interior plastic pieces im sure you will find tonnes. plastic paint, primer, sand paper, clear is what id imagine. black and white theme is pretty cool as long as you dont over do it imo, what color is your exerior, interior?

OP
OP
S

shipwreck17

Reaction score
Well i have to do some more thinking. I decided that i definatley dont want the door handles white but maybe just the radio trim. I dunno. Its tripple black. black car, black interior, black rag top. I will definatley do what I like but most stuff like this on most cars i hate. Like if you have a yellow car w/ a black interior and you paint some of the int pieces yellow. I did see a pic w/ the radio trim and shifter pieces glossy black on black and thats more subtle. I think i want to do SOMETHING to spunk up my interior i just dont know what. I just cant decide if I'm gonna like it. Thanks for the input.

whty98

Reaction score
I have the white outside and black interior. I awhile ago I painted some interior pieces white and they look great and get tons of compliments. I painted the door handle cave thing white and left the handle black, then the defroster vents white on the outside and left the little flaps black, the over head light was also painted white with the buttons left black. Painting wasn't hard, should have taken more care with taping everything off better because I left some messed up edges. I also painted the mach grille covers in the back glass white.

Why can't I link pics through the additional options????

whty98

Reaction score
He has white face guages though, wouldn't look right w/silver

Fender1325

Reaction score
I'm the king of painting interiors buddy, Ive done it alot on my car. I had the tan interior and wanted a black one so I did it and learned things the hard way. First of all, high traffic areas are going to chip over time and itll need touching up, its a straight fact no matter what you do. I started using vinyl paint from autozone which is basically garbage. If you decide to go through with it, make sure you use vinyle DYE not PAINT. Dye will have a much better penetration as well as flexing agents which are manditory for things like your center console. If youre doing hard plastic areas like the bezels regular vinyl paint should work just fine.
Prep the area with rubbing alcohol, make sure you clean real well. Even a light sanding with fine grit paper will help get rid of some of the buildup. tape it off if you cant remove the peice, make sure you have plenty of ventilation. Light even coats, letting dry a good 15 minutes atleast between coatings. Youll get a feel for it.
As far as black/white combo: I had the top layer of the doors and interior black and then theres a flowing seperating line that runs across the doors and through to the back panels, which i painted white. I thought it looked very crisp/clean, but honestly after a while that bright white got old while driving around. I redid it all just all black for that classic muscle car look. Anyways thats my experience - good luck with it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99