Remove 24 year old screws from tps

Notthenow

Reaction score
Seems like a simple issue, but the phillips head screws holding the tps on my original throttle body are on so tight it seems the slots will strip trying to remove them. Anyone have a good non-destructive method for removal? They feel like the factory loctited them.

Thanks,
Mike

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well the factory didn't use phillips head screws so you can't blame them. Try some penetrating oil but if that doesn't work short of an easy out bit the other option I have is use a dremel and a cutting wheel to score the + deeper and try again

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Damn, they sure look factory. It's also a correct ford tps... That slotting idea sounds promising.
Ever hear of someone using a soldering iron or micro torch to heat the area the screws are in?

Snorky

Reaction score
I ground the heads off, removed the sensor, used chanel locks to remove the studs and replaced them

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
So next question, my tps is fine, I am putting on a new 70mm tb for the pi ported heads with cams, headers, ect. The old one was fine and a new Ford piece is big bucks. Aside from Ford, any good ones made and by whom?

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Snorky, I like grinding the heads off idea if I over bugger the screws. I can save the tps and not ruin the original tb.

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Thanks, I do have the throttle body, just wondering if anyone has a preference on the throttle piston sensor that is non-Ford. Especially as seems 50 percent of new Chinese produced parts fail or are bad when new. Case in point, the last 4 alternators I replaced on the"family fleet" failed within a week and had to be replaced again. I guess I need a mulligan when replacing alternators.

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
I'll probably get the Ford if the old one doesnt make it. I'm more concerned with proper operation versus potential failure. I thought there would be strong opinions on this part due to how sensitive throttle operation can be.

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Ok, used toccs suggestion and slotted phillips to deep flat blade. Put vise grips on a screwdriver for leverage and out they came.

Attachments

• 20220217_233654.jpg
    20220217_233654.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Damn, jeez Blak you are in Kentucky, it has to be late...I can't use something like that on a throttle body...

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’ve only had to replace one tps and the only reason I had to was because the throttle body I swapped in already had one on it and it was bad. I can’t speak for any other brand.

And of course you can use an impact screwdriver on a part like that just remember righty tighty, lefty loosy.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Damn, jeez Blak you are in Kentucky, it has to be late...I can't use something like that on a throttle body...

Yes, you sure can. I doubt he was saying to use a 1/2" impact gun.

You could have used a 1/4" impact with the #2 Phillips bit.
Also, a gentle tap or two with a hammer will sometimes loosen up the screws.
Also, some PB Blaster would have helped too.

Now that it is off, be sure it is adjusted properly when you reinstall it. The TPS should read as close to .99v as possible, without hitting 1v

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell