Remove K Member '96 Cobra Convertible - Replace w/ MM Brace?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm, okay. I thought he was talking about in a previous post in this thread about up and down deflection at the front rails. I'm having some trouble visualizing that. Front to back I need to think about some more.

95opal

Reaction score
I think he is talking about deflecting from front to back, which I can kinda see, because the rods essentially put tension on the bottom of the car.

Now your catching on
Hmm, okay. I thought he was talking about in a previous post in this thread about up and down deflection at the front rails. I'm having some trouble visualizing that. Front to back I need to think about some more.

Lets try and simplify this. Think of your front rails ok now there just basically like a hinge in respect to movement on acceleration and deceleration. When you stop they are forced up and on a launch they start to drop. The crossmember is tied into those rails so when the rails move up and down your kmember also moves. By tying the bottom of the kmember that movememnt or hinge affect is basically being transferd back to the subframes with the rod ends making that hinge movement nil. I hope that helps you understand the design.BTW replicaR if you tke the thought behind it one step further and think about going into a corner and the forces on the front rails you see why i said it will help with handling

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lets try and simplify this. Think of your front rails ok now there just basically like a hinge in respect to movement on acceleration and deceleration. When you stop they are forced up and on a launch they start to drop. The crossmember is tied into those rails so when the rails move up and down your kmember also moves. By tying the bottom of the kmember that movememnt or hinge affect is basically being transferd back to the subframes with the rod ends making that hinge movement nil. I hope that helps you understand the design.BTW replicaR if you tke the thought behind it one step further and think about going into a corner and the forces on the front rails you see why i said it will help with handling

Okay. Those braces though. They have heims on them, yes? I can see where the solid bar that goes from one rail to the other ties them together. However, the braces with heims on them, won't they just deflect a little with rails? Don't they need to be solid to actually prevent the hinging effect you are talking about? FWIW, I'm not questioning the design, just trying to learn something.

95opal

Reaction score
Okay. Those braces though. They have heims on them, yes? I can see where the solid bar that goes from one rail to the other ties them together. However, the braces with heims on them, won't they just deflect a little with rails? Don't they need to be solid to actually prevent the hinging effect you are talking about? FWIW, I'm not questioning the design, just trying to learn something.

Those arnt heim joints they are clevis ends they don't rotate.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
[MENTION=9659]95opal[/MENTION] you haven't got the memo if it's not maximum motorsports or a terminator it has to be shite .

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
He's just trying to start drama.

Lol no I'm not ... I'm more then down start some shit winds tho ... I just laugh at what you say about UPR when you prolly haven't ran any of there products my race car has all there stuff and it performs awesome ... That's why I said what I said ...

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I am running the braces and shit knots because i like the way it looks. I probably wont be needed it because i wont be road racing the car to often, but man it makes the undercarriage look insane!..

all other parts will be UPR because fanboy says its the best!..or is MM the best?? hahaha jk ill just buy whatevers on sale/cheaper in price ;)

btw i am going with AJE K-Member. anyone care to know why? Its actually quite simple to guess..^^^^^

95opal

Reaction score
95opal you haven't got the memo if it's not maximum motorsports or a terminator it has to be shite .

Lol no I'm not ... I'm more then down start some shit winds tho ... I just laugh at what you say about UPR when you prolly haven't ran any of there products my race car has all there stuff and it performs awesome ... That's why I said what I said ...

Like you mustard I really don't care what others think about what I build my car with. Because Ive probably built more cars then they have driven. Second , until there paying for my parts Ill buy what I want and third I do quite a bit of research on the things I haven't used before and am smart enough to make my own decisions on said product. In regards to the stifflers spider brace and there products. The past two MW's I have spent most of those shows hanging out with Brian and the stiffler guys discussing there products, designs and there benefits. For those that don't know Brian was a former indy car engineer and has done a ton of testing on his products before he brings them to market. I have complete respect and trust in there products and no fan boy could or would sway my decision in running there stuff. The funny thing is the only people who give me slack are the guys who just don't understand what there intended for and that's fine by me as I actually know what they accomplish and it fits in with what Im trying to do so listening to there comments basically is just kind of funny and amusing

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gah, I don't know, maybe I'm just in a bad mood today, which probably means I shouldn't post. But come on guys. Seriously? No one in this post is telling you what to do. Someone said it looked like overkill. No one is telling you to use MM parts, or UPR parts, or whatever. Just people asking questions about what you did. And if your answer is "because Indy guy" then maybe your answer is lacking. Or if that's all you are willing to say, and get upset when people ask questions about it, then fine. Whatever. People will eventually stop asking questions. I don't know, maybe that's what you want.

95opal

Reaction score
Gah, I don't know, maybe I'm just in a bad mood today, which probably means I shouldn't post. But come on guys. Seriously? No one in this post is telling you what to do. Someone said it looked like overkill. No one is telling you to use MM parts, or UPR parts, or whatever. Just people asking questions about what you did. And if your answer is "because Indy guy" then maybe your answer is lacking. Or if that's all you are willing to say, and get upset when people ask questions about it, then fine. Whatever. People will eventually stop asking questions. I don't know, maybe that's what you want.

No your right nobodys telling us what to do and I think mustard is just goofing on the fan boys who just cant accept anything but the norm. As to what Im doing, it may seem like overkill to the average joe but im also not building the average joe car, so again I think your misunderstanding things. You asked to explain and I did on a couple of posts If you still cant understand what it does Im not sure what to tell you. The only reason I mentioned brains backround was to indicate that the system was designed by someone with actual knowledge of chassis and not some chinese company trying to make a buck like most of the crap you buy from AM, Latemodel and the likes. You can continue to ask questions and Ill continue to try and break it down for you that's your choice but Im not the guy who has the time or patience to write a book about a very basic concept. Again no one is upset with the fan boy intellect that's there narrow minded problem and they have to deal with it. Sorry if you don't understand but that's the way it is and its been that way since the fanboy hit the interwebs.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No your right nobodys telling us what to do and I think mustard is just goofing on the fan boys who just cant accept anything but the norm. As to what Im doing, it may seem like overkill to the average joe but im also not building the average joe car, so again I think your misunderstanding things. You asked to explain and I did on a couple of posts If you still cant understand what it does Im not sure what to tell you. The only reason I mentioned brains backround was to indicate that the system was designed by someone with actual knowledge of chassis and not some chinese company trying to make a buck like most of the crap you buy from AM, Latemodel and the likes. You can continue to ask questions and Ill continue to try and break it down for you that's your choice but Im not the guy who has the time or patience to write a book about a very basic concept. Again no one is upset with the fan boy intellect that's there narrow minded problem and they have to deal with it. Sorry if you don't understand but that's the way it is and its been that way since the fanboy hit the interwebs.

I'm fine, you cleared it up for me a number of posts back when you told me they weren't heim's. I don't need you to explain it further to me. My post was in response to mustard's and then yours after that where you were talking about how you don't care what others think, etc. etc. I was kind of like people aren't really saying you are wrong, just asking questions. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I'm not trying to cause drama, guess I'm having a bad day or something, please disregard and carry on.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Don't stress over the Fanboy comments, Kyle is a rebel.

People tend to suggest what they have used to others online and many use MM parts, and for good reason, they make good stuff.

Stifflers is now making some really good products and because of that will be suggested by others to use, causing fanboy status. See how that works :)

Honestly if I didn't have the Kenny Brown stuff on my car I would probably use the Stifflers stuff myself. Maybe on my next car.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
People have different experience with different products like those who are die hard ford fans because their first chevy was a lemon, or vice versa. People like to dismiss a certain brand over one failure in the product. They are mass produced, something down the line is going to fail at some point, it is man made! Also you do have those fanboys for certain products advertising it like its f'ing God or something, but also the brands target different audience. Example MM is mostly targetted for road racers and autocrossers, while UPR and Steeda is suited for drag. Doesnt mean you cannot interchange them it just they are best suited for a certain application. Then you have the "knock off" brands that take UPR or MM's design and produce it for cheaper, like J&M. That is aimed towards budget builders or street cars.

for me I am using anything for the right price. Yes I will gladly spend the extra money, but if J&M weight jackers lowers do the job i rather spend $275 than $375. I already have my list of parts and the brands and targetted applications are all over the place, but i did do my research and think it will suit me quite perfectly for my DD/Street/Canyon/road race/drag/show.

and for Musturd that includes some UPR and MM parts :p and now recently (about 2 months ago) i discovered stifflers on LMR.com, and i must say, i am a fan of the brace! and now looking at 95opal's undercarriage, IM SOLD! I was skeptical of how well it will do its intended job, but then again, i wont be turning competitively, so it'll do its job pretty well for me. And unfortunately i am tubular crazy. It just looks soooo goood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online