Removed AC, egr vacuum lines, and charcoal canister. Car runs poor now?

tykempster

Reaction score
As stated in the title I removed the ac , and the egr vacuum lines and tree, and charcoal canister. I had removed the actual egr and smog pump and wanted to free up space under the hood.Immediately after, my car felt like it had a misfire, and thought it was a plug wire I removed to take off the ac lines. Then I noticed oil on my headers, and a slightly loose oil filter. I fired it up and it sounded like it was running on tak cylinders. 20 minutes later it idled and revved fine, but shut off suddenly while idling. I ran the CEL test and got a code 511, what does this mean?

JKady

Reaction score
Do you have all the vacuum lines to the things you removed capped off? I've got all of that deleted on my car and aside from when my worn out IAC sticks it runs/idles great.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
ECU is chipped, I think I got all the lines capped off, they're all on the intake right? Acts like it has a vacuum leak but I couldn't find one.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
I think the oil filter loosening was unrelated, and sprayed oil everywhere. I wiped the plugs down, not sure why anything I did would change how things ran.

95opal

Reaction score
Is the EGR function turned off in your tune?

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
I guess I should say the egr at the throttle body is still attached, but the four colored vacuum lines were removed. I can't verify the egr function was removed, and I did hear some odd clicking. It's a mail order tune and I requested it be turned off, but maybe it isn't. What should I do?

JKady

Reaction score
I guess I should say the egr at the throttle body is still attached, but the four colored vacuum lines were removed. I can't verify the egr function was removed, and I did hear some odd clicking. It's a mail order tune and I requested it be turned off, but maybe it isn't. What should I do?

What I did for my temporarily permanent solution for an EGR delete was pull the sensor out of the top of the valve (Gray, has 3 small scres holding it in) then wrap the plunger in electrical tape to prevent it being depressed. Then just tuck it somewhere out of the way in the harness (Mine is simply sitting on the back of the intake. Then I flipped the valve over, this blocks the hole in the intake. Eventually I'll make a plate to block the EGR and I'll figure out the right resistor to wire into the sensor pigtail to get rid of it setting on top of the engine but it's working for now.

You WILL have a check engine light as a result unless the function is turned off in your tune so the EEC won't be looking for the valve to open. Depending on how much you value a functional CEL that can be fixed by simply removing the light from the cluster. Mine is sitting in the top drawer of my toolbox with my airbag and low coolant lights.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
I pulled out my chip and mailed it in this morning. Told them to lower my idle as well and try to make it not surge! Not expecting it to be perfect with the B cam though, it's pretty lopey. Gonna put an EGR blockoff plate on my throttle body and polish the wheels in the meantime!

DavidBoren

Reaction score
You might want to invest in an actual dyno tune. Mail order tunes are only going to get you close. Without any sort of data logging being done, a mail order tune is little more than an educated guess... and that guess is only as educated as who you are mailing it to.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
I plan on boosting the car next, once I get all the tiny details sorted out, then I'll definitely be hitting a dyno! The car seems to run well now, without the chip it is totally crap, but with it drives quite nice. Nothing like a real tune though.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
If I were you, I would find a dyno shop that will tune your car and offer discounts on future tunes. That way you can get it tuned correctly before you ever add boost. Something small that the mail order tune missed can turn catastrophic in a hurry with even a small amount of boost.

I know that you and everyone else already understand the benefits of a proper dyno tune, so I don't mean to preach to the choir. But a dyno tune should be everyone's first modification to any vehicle, new or used.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online