Removing a PS pump pulley that is on backwards

gnx547

Reaction score
Can a PS pump pulley that is on backwards be removed without damaging the pump? If so what is the best method to take off the pulley?

5PNTSLO

Reaction score
maybe try a 3 jaw puller....or cut the pulley off and replace it. cut into the pulley down towards the shaft of the power steering pump just be carful not to cut into the shaft of the pump. that's the only way I can see goin about it

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can also just grind/clearance a small portion of the pulley that blocks the bolt that is behind it to remove it with the pulley on it. A mechanic did it to my car long long ago I guess and I happen to notice it when I was taking it off as the pulley lined up perfectly with the hole in front of the bolt or I might not have noticed.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
I know the pulley will get all messed up when I try to remove it. Where can I buy one at? I called Ford and it is discontinued. I called a few part stores and it is not available. Will a fox body PS pulley fit? Will a 3 jaw puller take off the pulley without damaging the pump?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would also try a 3/4 jaw puller. But don't pull on the outside of the pulley, Pull next to the hub.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Foxbody pulley will not work, V6 pulley will not work. Dorman doesn't make a pulley for us... ford stopped making them too.

That being said, I have several that I've collected over the years.

Sadly, they are $100ea.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
Luckily I found one at the junk yard. I paid $20 for the pump and pulley. I installed the pulley, and there is very little play, movement on the pulley back and forth, is this normal? Should there be some play? Or no play at all?

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
Yes, I did use a puller installer tool to install the pulley..Now I just have to find the correct drive belt size.

Reaction score
Easyish way i just had to do being i was a retard and not paying attention. Movement.. awesome. Sight.. elsewhere.

Take a band saw blade.. cut the shit off reeeal close.. took about 2 hours and 15 minutes total being couldn't use the whole hack saw, then get the removal tool over the lip.. obviously wont fit under onto the shaft so leave one when cutting, even if a diamond because the triangle is too big, stick the graphites in.. the coupler ring, and remove it like normal, grab a paint brush, clear the bearing and shaft seal extremely well because these shavings make grinding... just extra time, not extra stress guys. You clearly are out a pulley, but too much stress on the shaft.. you are at your first idea of.. oh shit now i need both again.

Reaction score
They should really make an I'm an idiot puller that is a halo, with bolts for the holes you socket through to pull the pump off.

Or tripod, and bolts.. either way. The pulley is 12/16 gauge steel.. probably wouldn't bend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.