Removing airbags in 94 GT questions?

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
I have a few questions for those that have done it. I know I can get the delete kit from UPR but has anyone had any success gutting their factory steering wheel cover and passenger side module?

Buying the driver side delete may be the easiest but I don't like that the passenger side delete panel is plane jane and I would loose the Mustang script that the factory panel has.

Does this cause any dash lights to illuminate? If so is a tuner such as the one from Anderson ford able to turn it off?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I assume this is a track car that will not need to be inspected anytime soon? In phoenix they would fail a car if the abs light was on let alone if the bags were missing.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why do you want to remove the bags? They're there for a reason.
I would recommend that you don't messing with the airbag and try to gut them. If it's a track car just get the delete.
Also don't ruin a perfectly good airbag, there are only so many of them now. Sell it, especially if its non tan.

To my knowledge you can't tune out the airbag light.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As it's been noted, if you want to gut the existing panels, I would say grab a set from the junk yard to do so. Unblown air bags from these cars can bring a chunk of change because they are no longer available.

The light cannot be shut off, but the bulb can be pulled.

I don't really recommend removal unless it's a track car though.

OP
OP
CRAZYHORSES

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, it's not a daily driver, will be mostly a track car. I believe I'll just stick with the delete panels, didn't think about the modules getting more scarce as time goes on

gtsn95

Reaction score
If want to keep the stock passenger panel and don't care to keep the actual airbag unit, you can just cut the panel off of the unit and the panel just pops back in place

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

RichV

Reaction score
If you have any other restraints or a cage in the car, the bags are actually more dangerous.

My 94's system is removed, not just the bags. But there is not a aftermarket OEM looking delete panel out there. You probably could remove the bag mechanism however it may be dangerous since the bags deploy through the panels you want to keep. I just cut cardboard to the right size/shape, then transfered to plastic. Then riveted in place. Not stock looking, but who cares on a track car, not going to car shows.

OP
OP
CRAZYHORSES

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
If want to keep the stock passenger panel and don't care to keep the actual airbag unit, you can just cut the panel off of the unit and the panel just pops back in place

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
This what I may end up doing as the delete panels look like hell that I've seen. Can the steering wheel one be done the same way?

If I can do the passenger side one it may make since to just strip the driver side one out as well if possible. $199 for some shitty looking plastic panels stings the more I stew on it and I couldn't sell my bags for that to cover the cost anyway I don't believe

OP
OP
CRAZYHORSES

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
If you have any other restraints or a cage in the car, the bags are actually more dangerous.

My 94's system is removed, not just the bags. But there is not a aftermarket OEM looking delete panel out there. You probably could remove the bag mechanism however it may be dangerous since the bags deploy through the panels you want to keep. I just cut cardboard to the right size/shape, then transfered to plastic. Then riveted in place. Not stock looking, but who cares on a track car, not going to car shows.

No cage yet. Removing the bags rustles some folks jimmies just like when I deleted my thermactor pump, egr, cats etc on some forums lol

hotmustang95

Reaction score
I removed my pass side airbag and cut off the face panel and put it back in place. It came with two pieces of Velcro on each end that keep it in place. It was easy to cut the face portion away from the unit. For my driver side I used the UPR piece.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
On my race car I did the same thing others mentioned and cut the panel off the passenger bag and put it back .

OP
OP
CRAZYHORSES

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
How much do the covers cost vs what can we sell a good bag for?
The delete panels from UPR are $199. A quick browse thru ebay shows an over abundance of these generation airbags and most of them aren't selling especially at the prices they are asking.

In the completed listings search the passenger side actually only brings about $20 to $40 bucks and the driver side sells way less often and for $50 or less from what I can see

OP
OP
CRAZYHORSES

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
they get $200 for 2 pieces off plastic?! Dear god....

Yeah and they look like cheap shit, that's what really makes me want to reuse what I can off my current air bag modules. Ill have to look latter but I thought I saw on another forum where someone said they were able to reuse the horn pad part of the driver side airbag. If I can do that I will be happy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online