Removing Cats -iScrape

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
Ok this is my second aftermarket mid pipe Im on now. I previously had a 2 cat mid pipe that was ruined because the cat was destroyed by speed bumps. I just replaced that with the current Magnaflow 4 catted mid pipe i believe. The top pre cats are fine but the two in the middle scrape big speed bumps and one cat is ruined. Its now making a rattling noise. Now my question is can i keep the two pre cats on the top and remove the middle two with piping or gut them? Would it not pass emissions with the top two? Any insight? Oh btw i have like 2 inches of clearance with the midpipe.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
welll it depends on where youre at. In California, theres a chance you might pass with keeping 2 cats, however the visual wont. Also depends on the mods you have. I have an o/r h pipe so i wont pass at all.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You won't pass the visual without cats but if you pull the spout connector for the test I would almost guarantee you'll pass the sniffer.

Are you installing the midpipe youself or is a shop doing it?
New motor mounts might bring the exhaust up some too.

OP
OP

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
You won't pass the visual without cats but if you pull the spout connector for the test I would almost guarantee you'll pass the sniffer.

Are you installing the midpipe youself or is a shop doing it?
New motor mounts might bring the exhaust up some too.

Here in Canada I dont need a visual for emmisions. Just sniffer for my obd1. So you think it should be fine with the first 2 cats, and can remove the middle two?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would think so. It's wierd that they wouldn't look under the car when the car is getting sniffed.
You might still need to pull the spout while it's getting sniffed to get it to pass.
Mine will barely pass with the spout in but remove it and it passes like it's not even running. I'm running a Bassani catted X btw.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
you guys are lucky. I know people who will over look the visual, but with no cats, you wont pass the sniffer here in cali :/

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
do they have mountain sized speed bumps up there or are you just hitting them full speed? You car doesn't look like its all that low, what kind of headers are you running?

I have a magnaflow catted-x pipe and love it, but then I also love my air ride so....

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
you guys are lucky. I know people who will over look the visual, but with no cats, you wont pass the sniffer here in cali :/

I bet you would if you pulled the spout for the test. It is really that big of a differance.

OP
OP

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
do they have mountain sized speed bumps up there or are you just hitting them full speed? You car doesn't look like its all that low, what kind of headers are you running?

I have a magnaflow catted-x pipe and love it, but then I also love my air ride so....

Its my damn mechanics shop. It is ridiculous getting in and out. Thats the only spot where i scrape even if i go really slow and carefully. Running stock headers btw.

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Its always crazy to me to hear about you guys trying to pass inspection. The guy I take it to here checks my lights and wind-shield wipers and NOTHING else and just slaps a sticker on it. I never even have to think twice about emissions. I'm running a cat-less H-pipe with just flowmasters

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I did air ride because of my side exhaust, would have a hard time getting out of the driveway with out it.

If its this much of an issue now though(2nd time) I might try to figure out some kind of scrap guard for them or something...

OP
OP

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
I did air ride because of my side exhaust, would have a hard time getting out of the driveway with out it.

If its this much of an issue now though(2nd time) I might try to figure out some kind of scrap guard for them or something...

Lol thats what im trying to ask... Can i take off those 2 cats and replace them with piping or gut them? What are the drawbacks?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sure you can and there are some companies that make a removable piece so you can swap the cats in for emissions testing easily. The disadvantage is you would probably fail inspection with them off...

Magic

Reaction score
Hard to say if you will or wont pass the sniffer with the rear two cats missing.

Either replace that one cat. convertor or gut both the rear ones and go from there.

Also it sounds like your exhaust is not aligned properly.
When at the shop, put a stand underneath the mid pipe after the bolts have been loosened up, push the mid pipe up as far as you can with the stand then tighten the bolts.

OP
OP

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
Hard to say if you will or wont pass the sniffer with the rear two cats missing.

Either replace that one cat. convertor or gut both the rear ones and go from there.

Also it sounds like your exhaust is not aligned properly.
When at the shop, put a stand underneath the mid pipe after the bolts have been loosened up, push the mid pipe up as far as you can with the stand then tighten the bolts.

My mechanic tightend it up and tucked it. Im not worried about visual. Plus i pass with an after market h pipe that only had 2 cats before? Is it that the pre cats are different from the other 2 rear cats on this x pipe?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online