removing cats

AmericanStang

Reaction score
hey everyone, i was wondering what the easiest way is to remove the cats from my 98 GT. directions would roxor my boxors. thanks. and if they are easy to put back on

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
only way is to cut them out, then re-weld in some pipe where they were, to re-install same thing. but why not just get a offroad H or X if you need the cats for air-care then you can just re-install the stocker when that time comes around.

STNG_96

Reaction score
Agreed, it would be much easier just to buy a new midpipe, but be sure and look around, Im pretty sure a few companies out there make midpipes that you can interchange cats for straight pipes. SLP :dunno: If you had emmisions tests, you could just put the cats in for the test, and take them back out when its over.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
why would you want to cut them offf and do a rig job when you could just buy a new mid pipe and have a quality part instead

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
The easiest way is to get a o/r H-pipe and be done.... :thumb:

For a 130.00 bucks you get a better design and its 2 1/2" vs. 2 1/4 (stocker). And takes about 30 mins to change out.

ALITL8

Reaction score
Outlaw97GT said:

For a 130.00 bucks you get a better design and its 2 1/2" vs. 2 1/4 (stocker). And takes about 30 mins to change out.

you'll spend that $130 having it cut and welded. i spent $90 having a new flange and some repiping done to the factory/cats removed pipe ive got on my car. a guy i knew had it laying around and i got a good deal on it. if youre set on having the cats removed, buy a factory h-pipe at a wrecking yard and have it done :thumb:

STNG_96

Reaction score
Outlaw97GT said:

30 mins! HAHA! After I could not change mine myself due to the bolts on the manifold, my shop took 4 HOURS! They had to cut the bolt out, and got get new studs, hope you have better luck then I did.

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
STNG_96 said:
Outlaw97GT said:

30 mins! HAHA! After I could not change mine myself due to the bolts on the manifold, my shop took 4 HOURS! They had to cut the bolt out, and got get new studs, hope you have better luck then I did.

Took 40 mins, just did it the other day...

STNG_96

Reaction score
Outlaw97GT said:
STNG_96 said:
Outlaw97GT said:

Must have been nice, because I have heard many horror storie, my own included in getting stock midpipes out.

Took 40 mins, just did it the other day...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Definately listen to these guys!!!!
You do know that we have 6 yes 6 cats on our cars. Much easier to just get a off road X pipe.

badass98svt

Reaction score
just buy a used H pipe if ya want.
i just bought one for $75 shipped. its going on in a couple weeks. as soon as i decide on a set of MILs

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
badass98svt said:
i just bought one for $75 shipped. its going on in a couple weeks. as soon as i decide on a set of MILs

what do you mean decide on MILS? ???

STNG_96

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
badass98svt said:

what do you mean decide on MILS? ???

Maybe whichever brand he wants, and how much he wants to pay :dunno: :dunno:

badass98svt

Reaction score
exactly. i want to ask around a bit more before i buy a set of them. i've heard from quite a few people that the plug and play ones corrode and stop working after a year or so.
i've been told the ones you need to splice in are very good and seem to last forever. plus, they are under $20 shipped, and they are guaranteed.
however, i dont like to cut my factory wiring. so i'm undecided. you guys have an input with the ones you have?

badass98svt

Reaction score
theres a shitload, bbk, steeda, a bunch on ebay, and there's quite a few small mustang sites out there that make their own also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online