Removing Headlights/Clip Won't Budge!

94StewFord

Reaction score
The C-Clip that retains each hadlight won't budge! I can wiggle it back and forth, but she won't come off! Any suggestions? Tight space, hard to get anything on it and I see video's of others removing it with their fingers!!!!!

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
I finally got it off after more finesse, now the problem is the other two compression nuts as the 12 and 11mm sockets are helping?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it sounds like you are just as confused about using a ratchet bit to pop them out as I was the first time. There isn't a screw/nut that your looking to put the bit on to loosen what you do use it to compress the plastic clips that are on the back of the header panel that clip onto the studs that mount the light. When you push it down over the clips from the back you should be able to slide the light out. 55 sec mark shows using a wrench

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
it sounds like you are just as confused about using a ratchet bit to pop them out as I was the first time. There isn't a screw/nut that your looking to put the bit on to loosen what you do use it to compress the plastic clips that are on the back of the header panel that clip onto the studs that mount the light. When you push it down over the clips from the back you should be able to slide the light out. 55 sec mark shows using a wrench

I saw that one and others. I totally understand how they work , I just can’t get them to compress! ;) My car only has 37K original miles, one would think they would pop right off!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you will not feel anything actually click or compress when you do it. Just push the wrench on the back and then pull the light from the front. You might need to push the light in just a tad from the front to help the clips release while pushing the wrench on the back before pulling the light out.

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
They can be a major PITA to get loose. IIRC, it to me a couple of hours to get the right headlight out of mine. I tried all of the little tips, tricks - everything. Left side was out in a couple of minutes but the right side...PITA. Guess there always has to be one. Can't explain why. Not sure if mileage has as much to do with it as age. I changed mine out about 4 -5 years ago so that would've put it about 20 years old.

Reaction score
Just a tip I found useful when installing new headlights. When you have the old ones out count the number of threads on each rod , then turn the rods on your new ones to that number of threads. Your lights should pop in and if they were aligned before so will the new ones. It will take little or no tweaking to have them properly adjusted

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue yesterday! I followed the LMR video and trust me, the “12mm box end wrench” didn’t do squat to help remove the anchors. 11mm, nothing.
Ultimately I noticed that the replacement headlight housings have new guides, etc. so, out of frustration, I just went MIDEVIL on those little PITA’s! I used needle nose pliers to rip off the 4 little nubs on the forward facing side of those little black anchor nubbers, then used a punch to push the “cap” that remained rearward which got it out. Bastardized it and tore it useless, but again, the new headlight housings have them so what the heck, right!

The fun didn’t end there, and the new housings didn’t go in as readily and seamlessly as in the LMR video. You have to make sure the guides all go into the tracks evenly and simultaneously. THEN, you must apply an even amount of pressure shoving the headlight housing into place. I got mine close to clipping into place, then actually used my knee to secure it all the way in place.
Also, I used knee leverage again to create a gap to shove that clip into place. But, I only got it started, so I used a wide, flat, standard screwdriver and a hammer to punch it down and set it into place.

Mickey Mouse… but it worked! After that, I was relieved but all the frustration led me inside for a beer. Never came back to the car after nightfall to adjust the beams. Tonight for sure.
Good luck. Hope this helps…. I feel your pain!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I didn't want to recommend it but the first time when I wasn't able to get them to pop out I just got a good hold of it and gave one solid tug and all 3 of them released and popped out with out doing any damage. Since then I have not had an issue using a wrench/ratchet bit to pop them out. I think over time they send to lock up somehow.

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
Well, I have lubed them up and sat overnight, pushed the light in and tried everything and nothing seems to be the right size to compress the clip. Gotta be something that works on them. Pushing the light in was great advice, but nothing seems to work on the other end..........

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
Here you go..........

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 11

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok I just wanted to make sure that someone didn't throw some clear rtv or something else in there. Please understand I am not trying to talk down to you I just want to make sure you see the clips you need to push and know what needs to be compressed to work? When I zoom in on them I don't see a single scratch/mark on them to show that the wrench/ratchet was pushed down over it to compress it. Try the wrench again and see if you can twist it a few degrees one way or another while pushing. Its possible that the angle of the wrench matched up with where the tabs are not and the tighter portion of the wrench just needed to be a few degrees to the side.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It’s time to go animal. Take my advice! Use a needle nose, grip and rip those 4 little feet off the back side and punch the rest out. Done! ;-)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online

No members online now.