Removing Hydroboost Brakes Only

Chandler

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a question regarding the hydroboost setup, specifically deleting just the brake portion. I have a 2000 GT that’s been converted to a road race car. I installed the ATS front rotors and tried the Taurus calipers on the rear but could never get a good pedal so I went back to the stock GT calipers as race time was approaching. The car did well, but I can tell there is too much front bias as the fronts are prone to locking up and I’d like to put in a smaller bore master and proportioning valve to get the pedal feel we need plus get the bias worked out. All the info I can find regarding deleting the hydroboost is also focused on deleting the power steering, which I don’t want to do since this is a road course car. What are my options? Can the lines going to the booster be blocked off? Do I need to change the rack and power steering pump to something off another car that doesn’t have HB? Any help would be appreciated. Lots of info on deleting the brake side on the drag forums but I couldn’t find anything where anyone wanted to keep the power steering. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Mark

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’ll have to dig up the thread, but I remember a guy doing this on corral. He removed the hydro boost and ran the lines from the pump down to the rack. Hell, I think we could look at a flow diagram and figure that out. I’d get the appropriate A/N fittings and build some Teflon lines just from the pump to the rack. Then call it good.

When doing the manual brakes, make sure to use the maximum Motorsports kit. It changes the pivot point and the pedal position. The pedal feel is fantastic afterward. I love it because the brakes are always predictable.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, lwarrior. MM doesn’t make a direct fit kit for this car, should I go with the 94-95 kit or the Fox kit? I know they’re similar but have slight differences. Also, that kit doesn’t come with the MC so I will have to size that appropriately. Calcs for that look pretty straightforward but I’m wondering why none of them take the rear piston area into consideration? Is that because the front piston area is so much larger that it makes the rear piston area negligible? Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first foray into designing one of these systems and I am trying to do it right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online