Removing quad shocks

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
I'm putting tubular lower control arms on so I should be good to toss the quad shocks right?

OP
OP
P

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
Just 275 tires. If I don't need them I'd like to toss them. I thought I read somewhere a long time ago that they were only on there because the factory arms flexed so much.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
They're just dead weight.. I installed a set of J&M rear lowers, and eventually got the matching uppers. I dumped the quad shocks, never had any wheel hop issues. Some people say leave them, some say dump em. I say dump em, a good set of rear upper and lowers will help immensely.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
They're easy enough to remove and install. Remove them, see how the car handles. If you don't experience any issues, leave them off, if you do, slap em back on

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
^ I agree. I pulled mine off after I did adjustable upper & lower control arms and I haven't ever experienced any issues. I say try it out and see what you think.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Idk, I would upgrade them to bilstein units IMO, they can only help not hurt. I had buddy lose control of his mustang because he deleted them but to make matters fair he was on stock uppers and lowers. I would only remove them if they get in way of a fat tire.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
The quad shocks were added to counteract the wheel hop caused by the weak stock control arms. After you upgrade your lowers, you won't need them.

Basically they're just there to dampen the change in pinion angle which is accentuated by weak control arms. Once you reduce the amount of flex in the suspension this won't be a problem

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Quad shocks (if not blown) will dampen wheel hop in the rear end. But it's not 100% proof, especially if the driver goes into WOT heavily. They can sometimes rub on the tires, so flipping them 180° may do the trick if you want to install 10" or 10.5" wheels and wider tires.

Now Ford's 4-link suspension is not the greatest, it will bind up. So you can help your rear suspension setup by completely removing the quad shocks. It's best to install a set of quality aftermarket lower control arms that will not have the flexabilty found in your stock or cheaper ones, and this will make the quads shocks an un-necessary suspension component on your car.

Now the hard part, quality matters. I would only select a lower control arm from a reputable suspension company like Maximum Motorsport, Griggs Racing, Racecraft, Cortex Racing or Steeda. And do your best to stick with one company when it comes to your suspension needs. Mixing components from different vendors sometimes comes with sub-par results.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online