Removing side scoops?

joemomma

Reaction score
What is the process for removing the side scoops on 94/95 cars? I've got new mesh inserts ordered and want to get them replaced once they get here. Hopefully I can do this without scratching the new paint.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you mean the rear "brake vents" you will need to remove the interior of the car in the back seat/c-pillar areas.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
if you mean the rear "brake vents" you will need to remove the interior of the car in the back seat/c-pillar areas.
Yeah that's them. Sounds like a good project for when I do the rear seat delete lol. Just got an email from Tasca and they canceled my order. Parts are on national backorder with no known resupply date.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I have the parts, but I haven't dug in to this project yet. We're finally in the new house and I have a garage again, but there have been a million other things that are keeping me from getting into cosmetics. I'm currently chasing what I assume is a nasty vacuum leak.

Monday

Reaction score
I just did mine, if you need any kinda help or advice...

Cheers

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah man any tips or tricks would be awesome!

Monday

Reaction score
What kind of car do you have? Convertible or Coupe?

badass98svt

Reaction score

Monday

Reaction score

badass98svt

Reaction score
You fixed a coupe. A little more involved with a convertible...

That wasn't me. Just found it on the site.
It's still the same steps, but a vert should be even easier, as there is not as much interior parts to work around.
It honestly is about a 15 minute job once you get to it.
What makes you think a vert would be more difficult?

Monday

Reaction score
  • Remove bottom seat; needs a screwdriver – slotted.
  • Remove upper back seat – 10mm I believe is the size for your bolts. Mine were stripped so I use over-sized self-tapping 12mm.
  • Remove the bolt holding both the upper seat belts. Torx 50 is required.
  • Remove – if you’re doing both scoops – both side panels. You’ll need a panel removal tool. You need to remove the plastic trim from the bottom of the doors (sills) to get the panels out. Pop the speaker cover off the top speaker opening and slide the seat belt out. The panels should be free - put 'em outta your way.
  • Remove both speaker boxes (unplug). You’ll need a Torx 20; there are three screws holding each speaker box in.
  • Remove two bolts and one nut holding the metal plate up around the seat belt, because you will need to access the one unexposed bolt along with the other one holding the window assembly in place. Leave the window assembly in place for the next step.
  • Next, you have to remove your quarter glass. There are three bolts holding it in. You can easily access the two rear-most bolts; then, role the window down three-quarters of the way down, and remove the third most forward bolt still holding the window in. Pull the glass.
  • Next, remove the one nut (bottom) and two bolts (top) holding the window assembly in.
  • Pull your assembly out. Pretty easy stuff pulling it out.
  • Remove the nuts from all studs on the scoops. Pop your new ones in.
  • You have three nuts holding each scoop in place. 9 mm is the wrench or socket.
  • You have one cable from the vert roof which attaches to the top threaded stud. Don’t forget to put it back on the top scoop stud - BOTH SIDES. Make sure you get both cables back the way they were originally.

To finish job, just reverse process.

I may have a socket size wrong on the assembly and plate by upper seat belt - I think it's half-inch. I'm going from memory, and I don't pay much attention to sizes and stuff - I guess and if it works, bully for me... :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
That does seem a bit more involved lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member