REMOVING STEERING COLUMN Trim

badass98svt

Reaction score
I need to remove the upper piece of my steering column trim. I see where the screws come out at the bottom, but do I need to pull the entire Ignition out? Or can the black plastic outer piece of the ignition come off? I mean the piece you actually grab and turn when you start the car. Is that little piece removable, without actually pulling the ignition?

blackfang

Reaction score
First remove the knee bolster. That is the part under the colum right by your knees. You can pull the screws out(3 of them I believe) and that will allow the panel to come down.

Then remove the lock cylinder. The black part you are referring to, actually comes out with the lock cylinder by turning the key to the run position and inserting a 1/8 punch in the hole below it. Depress the punch while pulling out on the lock cylinder.

Then remove the screws under the column. then you can pull the top and bottom halves of the column out.

OP
OP
badass98svt

badass98svt

Reaction score
Thanks bro. I know how to pull the ignition out. I was just hoping I didn't have to.
Thanks for the write-up though.

blackfang

Reaction score
badass98svt said:
Thanks bro. I know how to pull the ignition out. I was just hoping I didn't have to.
Thanks for the write-up though.
Ha ha ha. I guess no such luck then. I had to yank all that out when I was having wiring issues and removed my Multi function switch to test everything.

OP
OP
badass98svt

badass98svt

Reaction score
Stupid Ford engineering.
Why wouldn't they make the trim in 2 halves that came off AROUND the ignition, instead of having to remove it?
Henry Ford must be rolling in his grave right now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online