Removing Valve Covers!

delling3

Reaction score
Pulled the RH valve cover today. A couple of those bolts are really tough to access! My rechargeable trouble light died before I got all the bolts out on the left side cover, so I stopped for the day. Can’t wait to reinstall them. Any tips to make that easier?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Make note of where any tough bolts were and make sure those locations do not have bolts with studs on top. Other than that, just be careful not to disturb the gasket when you wrestle it on. Also, clean the covers real good inside with brake cleaner to get oil out of the gasket channel. Oil will make the gasket slip, if it’s dry the gasket will stay in place better.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
I took note of where the bolts came from, so no worries there. Just getting a socket on some of the bolts was a challenge. There were a couple of blobs of RTV at the corners where head/timing cover/valve cover met, which dislodged the valve cover gasket when I lifted the cover. Is it ok to bond the new gasket to the valve cover for reinstall?

My biggest concern is getting some of those bolts back in their holes / threads started. Having the engine on a stand (instead of in the car would make the job a breeze.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Idk if this helps but on the driver side you can do a few things. Remove the clutch cable and there is a bolt in the fender well for the master cylinder you can remove and get it to move more to help with removal and install. This is all information for a 4v but I assume it would help you

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You’re going to want to put the rtv back in those same 4 spots where the timing cover meets the heads, if you don’t, it’ll leak. And don’t bond the gasket to the cam cover in any way. They are designed to seal on their own, so just make sure it’s clean and dry.

Best thing I can say for the bolts, is get a shallow, mid depth, and deep socket in 1/4” drive. Have various extensions and a couple universal swivels on hand.

joe65

Reaction score
having had the drivers side off (left) recently i can say the back ones are a little painful. i was able to use a long extension to reach from all the way above the brake booster. I also have a a thumb turn socket attachment that works great if i can get my hand close. It also helps a lot if you can pull the power steering reservoir away from the front of that head to slide the valve cover off towards the front.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I removed the valve covers off my installed 5.4l once. I wont do that again!!! Had to remove the clutch cable, remove the brake booster bolts, shift the booster over some, remove 2 bolts from the back cover from underneath the car....basicly blindfolded. Then reinstalling .....i dont like thinking about this

Tacbear

Reaction score
Pulled the RH valve cover today. A couple of those bolts are really tough to access! My rechargeable trouble light died before I got all the bolts out on the left side cover, so I stopped for the day. Can’t wait to reinstall them. Any tips to make that easier?
While they are off Paint them like I did....turned out great!100_3092 (Medium).JPG

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Love the look. Unfortunately, If I painted mine it would simply highlight the plebeian remainder of my engine compartment!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online