Repainting Fiberglass Body Parts?

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
So my old 1998 Saleen mustang got in a wreck just a bit ago and I picked up a 1997 GT since I know how to work on these cars pretty well. My question is that I have a lot of valuable aftermarket parts on that 1998 Saleen like the S351 wing. Since those wings go for almost $300 unpainted, would I be saving money if I bought the car wreck for less and took the wing off to get it repainted (white to black), or does re-painting fiberglass cost more money?

(Obviously I'd be taking off the other valuable parts as well, like OEM cobra wheels, suspension, stuff like that)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
painting glass costs the same as painting metal assuming that its in good shape and doesn't require additional prep

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it all depends on the condition of the part and the surface on it. If its still painted nice and pretty then it could be as simple as scuffing it and shooting it and it doesn't get any easier. If the clear or color has chips/gouges out of it then it might be as simple as sanding down past those spots to get it flat again, or it could need to be filled. If there are cracks in the finish or in the part then it might need be repaired, sanded and filled, then primed/blocked/repeat and then they can start to shoot it. Painting is all about the prep and the more prepping it takes means more $$$$

Dustin Conner

Reaction score
it all depends on the condition of the part and the surface on it. If its still painted nice and pretty then it could be as simple as scuffing it and shooting it and it doesn't get any easier. If the clear or color has chips/gouges out of it then it might be as simple as sanding down past those spots to get it flat again, or it could need to be filled. If there are cracks in the finish or in the part then it might need be repaired, sanded and filled, then primed/blocked/repeat and then they can start to shoot it. Painting is all about the prep and the more prepping it takes means more $$$$
Best bet if you are knowledgeable is to do all prep yourself then have painted. That would be cheapest IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online