replaced tranny; now clutch trouble

the.greg

Reaction score
A few months ago the syncros in my t45 went out so I pulled the trans and sent it to be rebuilt by the t45 source in Ohio. I received it back about a month later and proceed to re-install it in addition to a new fidanza aluminum flywheel and a new ram hdx clutch. I also replaced the clutch fork, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing with ford racing units. Well after I put everything together I could not get the car to go into gear while running? I readjusted the clutch and was able to drive the car around my neighborhood once by adjusting the clutch overly tight(always having TOB pressure on the pressure plate fingers) and it had no issues shifting, but I could tell something wasn't right. As soon as I realized something was wrong, I put it back on jackstands and scratched my head for a while. Upon a thorough google search I realized that I had installed the throwout bearing wrong; I had it tucked under the retaining fingers, instead of sitting on top of the fingers. Noob mistake, never done a clutch job before.

Round 2 consisted of me dropping the tranny again in my driveway on jackstands and correctly installing the throwout bearing, everything looked fine so I put it back in convinced that my issues were solved. Well it still won't go into gear while running! Plus I have developed a "moaning" from either my clutch cable or TOB most noticeable at the clutch fork area? I have heard a bad TOB will produce a "squeal" and I am hoping my issue is a bad clutch cable? I have the steeda clutch quadrant/firewall adjuster and I have tried to adjust the clutch, but short of once again setting it "too tight" I can't get it into gear while running. It shifts while shut off, but won't go into gear while running, but will start in gear and run. I am hoping I can blame this on a bad clutch cable stretching while pressing on the clutch pedal, or something, but I am starting to worry about possibly not torqing down my pressure plate enough or something wrong with my clutch installation. I have never done a clutch before so I know it is a possibility that I messed something up.

I followed a "reputable" online clutch install guide, and I figured with all new pieces, I could handle this job myself. The only step that gave me trouble was the torquing down of the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel, because my torq wrench wouldn't measure low enough to set it at the 23ftlbs of torq that is called for; so I just hand snugged it "tight" in a star pattern. I still think the issue is the clutch cable, but just throwing that out there.

Any ideas about whats preventing me from getting into gear while the car is running? Does this sound like the symptoms of a bad clutch cable? Thanks for any advice. I really don't want to drop the tranny again in my driveway, without knowing what to fix, but I can't really afford to take it to a shop right now after dropping nearly 2k on the tranny,clutch,flywheel, and accessories. Sorry for the length of this post.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
did you replace the ball and adj it properly? if you have the car on jack or a lift start it and put it in gear and i see if your wheels move with clutch in

OP
OP
the.greg

the.greg

Reaction score
Yes, a brand new pivot stud was installed when the tranny was rebuilt. I am pretty sure the issue is that the clutch won't disengage, I'm just not sure why its not disengaging.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
What kinda cable and quadrant are you running ?

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I had something like that happen on a faulty RAM HDX clutch that I put into my old GT. Took 2 Steeda/UPR cables to realize that the Pressure Plate was defective. is the clutch rock hard?

OP
OP
the.greg

the.greg

Reaction score
I was told when i bought the car it had a ford racing quadrant and clutch cable with unknown mileage. I notice I can see the pressure plate flex when i view it through the inspection plate while someone presses the clutch cable. Is that normal?

OP
OP
the.greg

the.greg

Reaction score
I had something like that happen on a faulty RAM HDX clutch that I put into my old GT. Took 2 Steeda/UPR cables to realize that the Pressure Plate was defective. is the clutch rock hard?

The clutch isn't any harder than my last RAM hdx, but I get a pulsing, vibration through the pedal when I am pressing the clutch in. Is that a symptom of a defective pressure plate or perhaps a bad clutch cable??

How did you determine the pressure plate was defective?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online