Closed thread.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For my ‘95 Cobra 5.0

I’m in SoCal (Ventura County, specifically) and looking to either rebuild or swap my tired 5.0 for either another 5.0 or a 347. Still has to pass smog so I’m looking for a strong runner, not a 600hp beast!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
A few bad sensors, maybe a couple of leaky injectors, old sparkplugs, carbon build up on the valves, cracked up vacuum lines, crap rotor cap, crap plug wires and a maybe weak automatic transmission.....the definition of an aged car! This altogether can really tamper an engines performance on an otherwise internally fit engine.

If compression checks are good and relatively close, id suspect everything else all compounding together killing performance.

So to help you in the decision making, maybe start with tune ups, vacuum line replacements, sensor cleanings and such. Cause even replacing a new engine with the aged components is still going to be tired acting.

We are here to help! And hopefully we can encourage you the confidence to work on your own stuff and not have to take the words from a business that makes money shelling out bad news.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A few bad sensors, maybe a couple of leaky injectors, old sparkplugs, carbon build up on the valves, cracked up vacuum lines, crap rotor cap, crap plug wires and a maybe weak automatic transmission.....the definition of an aged car! This altogether can really tamper an engines performance on an otherwise internally fit engine.

If compression checks are good and relatively close, id suspect everything else all compounding together killing performance.

So to help you in the decision making, maybe start with tune ups, vacuum line replacements, sensor cleanings and such. Cause even replacing a new engine with the aged components is still going to be tired acting.

We are here to help! And hopefully we can encourage you the confidence to work on your own stuff and not have to take the words from a business that makes money shelling out bad news.
Has new plugs, wires, coil and distributor. Plus, new IAS(?) on throttle body and new oil pressure sending unit.

Werecow

Reaction score
Throw a vacuum guage on it and check to see if you have a vacuum leak somewhere.. Check reading at idle, opening throttle and as it comes back down from revving it up. There are several guides on the interwebs on what to look for when doing checks on your engine with a vacuum guage. If you can get enough hose to run it into the car, doesn't have to be pretty just in the driver's window will work for testing reasons. That way you can check your valve train and rings as well. The guides on the interwebs will make sense of this when you read up on it.. Shit, I just realized I should have put this under your other thread, but you'll get the message...

BigBore96

Reaction score
@Daryl

What were the compression test results?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yeah, i made the goof posting my response here too. Lets go to his thread and post our response

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve opted to have the motor rebuilt! May take a couple of months but I’m ok with that.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna start saving up my $$$ for a rebuild or possible replacement and drive it “as is” in the meantime

Engine diagnosed as “tired” by FTK after compression test and dyno’d at an earth shattering 200hp!!

I’ve had the car over 2 months and haven’t been able to drive it more than 50 miles! I kinda just want to drive it a bit, albeit in it’s diminished state, start bonding with it, get the feel for driving a low, stick shift car again (versus driving trucks the last 20 years!) and then set myself for a wonderful surprise when I remedy the motor situation.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
But yes, I’m still looking for a rebuilder in my area-ish or someone with a solid motor for sale that will swap with my set up.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve closed this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy