Replacing Battery Leads

Wmac

Reaction score
After 25+ years, time to replace most of the underhood battery cables, both positive and negative. Thinking 4 awg as the car is just a "weekend warrior" (lol), no big stereo equipment.

Anyone have suggestions or info? How did you replace the 2 fusible links?

Thanks in advance.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
most 4 awg is bigger than the stock cables. I say "most" because there are a ton of brands out there and the cheaper brands are cutting corners wither with cheap metal or less of the metal and more insulation. With that being said I would still buy the cables and ring terminals and battery connectors individually as you have a better selection of what you want. Don't forget to replace the grounds while you are in there, battery to chassis is right at the battery and chassis to block is up by the oil sender. As for fusable links this video is good right up to the point that his soldering sucks because he didn't use enough heat.

OP
OP
W

Wmac

Reaction score
Great info and link. Thanks.

Replaced the main ground about 15 years ago (and the short 1 to the motor mount), but time to do all the positive and negative. Think I have enough 4 & 6 ga black welding cable (flexible), but need to buy some flexible red cable and all the connectors. May buy 10' just to be sure.

Project for warmer weather, but unsure on the fusible links. Anyone ever use a fuse like what is used for amps and subs?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online