Replacing convertible top..

Bill94vert

Reaction score
K i need a new top after some cool person slashed my roof... I have gotten a quote from a place.. it was $900 installed for the OEM replacement and $1500 for the cloth.. which is the better one to go with? im leaning towards the stock replacement mainly cause of the price and its not like im cruising around with the top up all the time.. has anyone ever installed a top before? how hard can it really be?? :help2:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was watching my Upholsterer when he was doing mine and it doesn't look hard but rather tedious and like something you would get good at after doing 6-7 of them...it wasn't something i would do but i am not very patient and would definately brake something.

I paid just over $800 for a thick Sailcloth top and the one from Ford was @ $700 installed...the Cobra cloth top was $1200 installed. Also these prices are with new rear sections since i was changing colors but it would have been @ $250 cheaper if i just replaced the ripped top in the same color.

VERT94GT

Reaction score
Where is this? My ford dealership says they don't make the tops anymore and the only way to get one is on ebay or some shit. The only other quote i've been able to get is ballpark 1400 dollars. I don't think that's even a cloth top. I'm trying to buy the used one from the classifieds but even it seems like not that great of a deal considering it's used. However good of condition it's in, used is still used and i value every dime i work for.

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
I've had 3 put on mine. 2 by the upholstery shop I now use. They says it's best for them to pick the top material. They know what works the best. On my 1st, I chose it. Sorry, can't remember 1st cost. 2nd saddle top was $575/total. I only got my 3rd was purely for looks! I switched to a black top. It ran me $600. I had this done in Duncan, OK. It's kind of a small city. They dyed the part that attaches to my rear window. Just go to a upholstery shop & see what they recommend! I have my still in great shape saddle top boxed up. Pretty sure you'll want a black one.

If you need or want me to. I can go ask them the cost of what you want. Just send me a PM if you want me to. I'll forget to check back.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there was someone on here recently that did it themselfs, thought they said it wasn't too bad.

sn95gtvert

Reaction score
i've swapped the entire unite, frame, window, hydrolics, top, and latches. cheapest way i've figured out. find a $500 parts v6 vert and swap it over. if your lucky you can part out everything else and make your money back and have a good top.

far from new, but far from ruined.

95gtdrop

Reaction score
i had the shop do mine. it was a stock replacement, and its been about 2 years and its holding up great! and looks brand new still

JiMi_DRiX

Reaction score
My friend had his done, and the upholstery shop got an OEM one if I remember correctly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell