Replacing cowl cover

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here ever replace their faded, dull looking cowl cover? And washer sprayers?

I’m grateful for any/all tips related to it, including how to remove the wiper arms WITHOUT leaving scratch marks?!

PinkieT

Reaction score
On both my 98s, there are little tabs at the base of the wiper arm on the windshield side. Pull them out until they stop and and the wiper should come right off. One trick I found about getting the plastic cowl cover on and off without cracking is to first open the doors. There is a 10mm bolt at the base of the body color trim strip that goes up the windshield. That trim covers the ends of the cowl. Loosen the bolt on each side, and bottom of the trim that should then be able to be moved out a bit. That gives you more room to wiggle the cowl out. I can take pics if that would help, just let me know.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
hardest part will be finding one to replace it with. Carbon fiber is the only alternative to an old oem

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
hardest part will be finding one to replace it with. Carbon fiber is the only alternative to an old oem

That's not entirely accurate:

lrs-02228e_30848d4f.jpg

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-02228E/mustang-cowl-vent-grille-cover-94-98?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=comparison-shopping&utm_campaign=google-shopping-v2&year=1998&adpos=&scid=scplpLRS-02228E#1998&sc_intid=LRS-02228E#1998&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6575BRCQARIsAMp-ksMFtBKYo-_99ELB4Ln0Ukwbr5_cMT0EbbWQPRk7udGgL2nxTnn6Ae8aAkIPEALw_wcB

dwcopple

Reaction score
Wow^^^. That should be a $25-40 part, not $182

dwcopple

Reaction score
It's just molded plastic. Like a bigger kick panel or similar

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
On both my 98s, there are little tabs at the base of the wiper arm on the windshield side. Pull them out until they stop and and the wiper should come right off. One trick I found about getting the plastic cowl cover on and off without cracking is to first open the doors. There is a 10mm bolt at the base of the body color trim strip that goes up the windshield. That trim covers the ends of the cowl. Loosen the bolt on each side, and bottom of the trim that should then be able to be moved out a bit. That gives you more room to wiggle the cowl out. I can take pics if that would help, just let me know.
PinkieT,
No, I think your description was pretty straight forward so I’ll give it a try with your guidance. Thanks a bunch, little rod bits like that are extremely helpful

P.S.- I will get back in touch if I somehow manage to screw something up!!

PinkieT

Reaction score
I've been lucky in boneyards, if somebody else hasn't already broken it yet! I have a spare hanging on my garage wall...

PinkieT

Reaction score
PinkieT,
No, I think your description was pretty straight forward so I’ll give it a try with your guidance. Thanks a bunch, little rod bits like that are extremely helpful

P.S.- I will get back in touch if I somehow manage to screw something up!!
Glad to help!

delling3

Reaction score
Assuming that the existing part isn't broken already, wouldn't a $5 can of urethane spray paint solve the issue?

Nice the LMR is an option, but that is an expensive piece o plastic!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It is pricey, and I’m not sure how good or how long the urethane rattle can option would last. So, I opted to bite the bullet and cough up $$$ . I also have a OCD thing about faded cowls and various other plastic pieces on cars/trucks. Must be leftover from my days gone by of being a detailer!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I didn't know they were still available. But at that price I didn't think I paid a whole lot more for my carbon fiber version but it has been long enough I do not remember.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
PinkieT,
Found ‘me! ( the 2 10mm bolts)! Will try the swap/install tomorrow

PinkieT

Reaction score
Just take your time. Go too fast/use too much force and it breaks. I know from experience!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Big THANK YOU to all here who chimed in! Everything went well. Old one came out; No breakage. New one went in pretty well. Just needs a little fine tuning (very small gap center of cowl): Probably a couple of the clips didn’t set in just right. But overall very pleased with the success and I only have one small burn mark from the soldering iron!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, if anyone wants the old one off my ‘95, it’s free. Just pay shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online