Replacing/Upgrading brake lines: how to?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I thought replacing the stock rear brake lines with stainless steel brake lines would be pretty easy. Unfortunately, on my ‘95 Cobra, the shock is directly behind the torx bolt with a gap too narrow to get a toes bit in.

So, I guess I have to remove the lower bolt on the rear shock and swing it backwards enough to get a ratchet with a torx bit on it in there to remove the mounting plate.

What do I need to do to make the car safe once I remove the shocks lower bolt? Jack the body up? Support the axle with stands? Or ???

I’m not sure how the car and suspension will react once I break the lower bolt free.

Thanks everyone!
Daryl

tinnocker

Reaction score
Nothing will happen when you take the lower bolt out, except the shock should get longer (extend). The shock doesn't hold the body up, the springs do that. If the shock is still good it will lengthen when you take the bolt out from the pressure built into the shock. It will be difficult to get the bolt back in, if the shock is still in good shape because you will have to collapse the shock to the correct length to align with the shock mount hole. As they wear out they loose the inside pressure. If you can easily extend and collapse the shock in and out then buy some new shocks, they are worn out. I like to jack the car up enough to put jack stands under the axles on each side to be safe.

chithead

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely want something under the axle to keep it supported while removing the shock bolt. But you need that anyways to remove the wheel to change the brake line, so you're all good. As posted above, biggest issue will be compressing the shock upwards to get the bolt back in - but that's not too much of a problem with these cars.

If it is too difficult though, can use a jack under the shock to push it back up into alignment. Had to do that when putting heavier shocks on our Gladiator.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks tinnocker & chithead! I will definitely use stands under the axle. And, with one recovering shoulder, I’ll use a bottle jack to shove the shock back into alignment to reinstall the lower bolt!

Thx again!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Since the car is going in for full rear suspension upgrades on the 20th and pretty much everything is going to be disassembled, I’ve decided to “leave it to the Pro’s!” They’ve got the proper tools, experience and know-how so let them do it! 1. Not worth my aggravation and 2. if they break it, they replace it!

badass98svt

Reaction score
If you have the cash, may as well replace the shocks if you haven't already. They will be going in there and removing them anyway.