Replacing Valve Stem Seals & Upgrading Valve Springs?

OP
OP
1Broderick

1Broderick

Reaction score
Just looking at the motor pics, I seriously doubt it has any sort of cam. Absolutely no reason to put a cam in there. Looks all stock not very well maintained.

When I bought my 94, I was told it was a rebuilt motor. Either I was lied to or the PO got taken, so that's the way it goes if you don't have any sort of proof.

So back to your issues, you think you have valve float and leaky seals. Only way to know for sure is to do a compression and leak down test. But just from what you described, if the PCV like Opal suggested is good, it's your rings that are cause of the smoke out the tailpipe. I had a BMW with a trashed bottom end that did this exact thing. Have you removed plugs to see if it's specific cylinders with issues or all of them? My guess is that the motor has been neglected before you got it and now you get to deal with it, unfortunately.

The smoke is definitely not coming out of the tailpipe. I've let it sit then started it, warmed up and revved it and nothing has ever come out of the exhaust. I even had a friend follow behind me and he said the smoke definitely wasn't from the exhaust. It's all under the hood area.

I really don't think it has a cam either. Just sounds like a crappy idle. I know for sure it has an exhaust leak and I'm wondering if the balancer is bad, I'll have to figure out how to check that.

I'm pretty sure it has valve float too. I don't know what other rattling noise it could be at higher rpm?

When I check the plugs what should I look for?

OP
OP
1Broderick

1Broderick

Reaction score
a03130b0ab55ab7685241a17d71f9cca.jpg

30 mins after I replied I got the PCV valve kit in the mail

When I put the PCV valve in, the rubber hose decided to break. I ghetto rigged it with some tape for now. I want to get all new hoses and vacuum lines to replace all the old brittle ones.

So I installed it and took it for a test drive. Drove it hard for a good 15-20 mins (Followed by a state trooper for a good 5 mins. Almost got pulled over.) but no smoke! No burnt oil smell!

Pulled into the driveway and don't see anything dripping!

Still need to get that fancy pantsy dipstick and new hoses to be safe.

Hopefully it's back in action for a little while.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I'm just over here waiting for my car to spontaneously combust...
I know the feeling. I'm kicking myself, there was an ad on Craigslist a few months back for a free 05 crown Vic motor with 80k on it an hour away from me. I didn't trust my ranger to not bottom out from the weight but I should have tried to pick it up!

OP
OP
1Broderick

1Broderick

Reaction score
I know the feeling. I'm kicking myself, there was an ad on Craigslist a few months back for a free 05 crown Vic motor with 80k on it an hour away from me. I didn't trust my ranger to not bottom out from the weight but I should have tried to pick it up!

For a free motor I'd go rent a UHaul pickup truck and grab that thing!

(If I actually had a garage to swap a motor... *sniffle*)

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
For a free motor I'd go rent a UHaul pickup truck and grab that thing!

(If I actually had a garage to swap a motor... *sniffle*)

I know, I wish I found the time to go get it. The worst that could happen is making my fuel money back in scrap metal.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Those motors arent that heavy, you'd a been fine. On a side note seals arent that bad to do, and its a good time to do springs and cams if its neccessary!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online