Reaction score
Coming this Saturday.

257hgk3.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The lip is installed. Better pictures coming soon, I was in a hurry this morning when it got installed.

2mq6phy.jpg

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I looooove G37s! Nice mods so far!
Have I missed it, or have you not done exhaust??? They sound sooooooo good!

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
No exhaust yet. I am keeping my eye on some used catbacks, or axle backs if they are reasonably priced.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good idea. There's such a wide selection of exhaust options.
HKS is nice, but wicked expensive. I think some of the cheap axle backs actually sound the best...
I have no idea why they sound so good, so throaty

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I'd like to get the Tanabe Medallion axle-back, because they look good, and they sound good. New, that set of mufflers is about 580 shipped, but it's quality stuff. I can also get Top Speed Pro-Y cat-back for about the same price, but I hear fit and finish isn't as good. I'm not really concerned with the power, it's got plenty, but I do want something that sounds a bit better.

The point where I want to take this car to is pretty simple. I'm getting there. I would like to add the following items still:

1. Swift Sport Springs (lowers the car 1 inch)
  2. Hotchkis Sway Bar Kit (help balance the grip level of the car)
  3. Tanabe AxleBack Exhaust (looks and sounds cool, supposedly increase in power too)
  4. Some kind of stick on Rear Diffuser, like like you'd see on S197 GT500, (improve the looks the rear a bit)

Then depending on how the car will do at AutoX, build it for a class. Looks like SCCA STU might be what fits my car best. That way I can get 285s on 18x10 for all 4 corners, to be competitive.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Those are the two I like as well. The top speed one sounds amazing, but I'm not sure if the quality is there.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to autoX with the G37. I've had a taste of the car before, when my wife drove it out in addition to the mustang, but this would be the first time I've spent a full day with this car.

2a8os95.jpg

ay846o.jpg

So, what did I learn? Well, even with the huge tire stagger (245 front / 275 rear) the car will still pretty much kick the tail out on demand, and sometimes when you don't ask it too. I had to relearn how to dial back aggressiveness, and drive it smoother than I've ever driven anything else before. The 340tw tires are pretty decent, but not really as good as the dedicated autoX tires would be. The suspension is a bit soft, so I think some springs with higher rates, and some HUGE sway bars should settle the chassis and let me do the work, instead of fighting the weight transfer. I've looked into maybe running SCCA Solo II STU class, because the car seems to conform to the rules the best, so maybe I'll do one event as is, and see how competitive I am. I assume it won't take much to get it to the sharper end of the field, especially locally.

wlpx52.jpg

They say picture is worth a 1000 words, so the video below must be worth 30180000 words (8 minutes 23 seconds at 60 FPS). Enjoy

[video]https://youtu.be/_Z3Mqilyu3k[/video]

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
It did OK. The field was very diverse, ranging from awd beasts to miatas, and various muscle cars. Fastest run of the day was 34.000 for Evo X which was pretty built up. My best was 37.1xx, I just couldn't get anything else out if it. I would say that I ended up in the top 25%of field, which isn't bad, considering that it's mostly stock, and the tires are 340 tw. There is a lot more in it, and I'll get to it little by little

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your driving skill obviously helps with that a lot, but you weren't too far behind the number 1! That's awesome. That G37 is obviously a little more nimble right out of the box.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
My last video went pretty popular with AutoX people in SoCal region apparently, so much so that one of the guys who kinda corrals the people to the event reached out to me on facebook, and convinced me to come and try out SCCA Solo event.

I wasn't totally convinced at first, especially because you spend all day, work the course and all you get is 4 runs, but it was actually more fun that I thought it would be. Because of the modification, I kinda fell into ESP, which is kinda catch all for G35/37s. There weren't a lot of ESP people in the class, so all SP was combined. It consisted of 996 Turbo, F430, 458, my car, and S2000. In the course of 4 runs I went from dead last to 3rd. 2nd was within .4th of a second, and if I had some more practice I'm sure I would have found that time, but alas, no such luck this time.

Overall, had a good time, learned that I don't want to work the course during last session because then you also have to pick up cones, and figured that if I really want to be competitive, I either have to do the following:

1. Run in F-Street Class: Buy another set of of stock wheels (or same size), get some nice and sticky tires (200tw), take off the CAI, and change the front sway bar to help with oversteer.

2. Run in STU: Buy another set of wheels (18/19x10), get some nice and sticky tires for with 285 max width (200tw), change the front sway bar help with oversteer, and and maybe axle back for a little more power.

The video is the link below. I go from driving like a baboon, to more or less collected and calm by my last run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or6TeGD2a5U

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I mean realistically, this is your daily driver. Do you want to make it super competitive as well? If not, I would just do whatever you want to do with it, and go have fun at events.

I spent a bus load on my new edge, but I don't really care if I get slaughtered by better drivers (because I out-classed myself too much). I just want to go, take some turns, and have a good time in it.

Suppose it's all about what you're looking for.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I think I can realistically fight for wins, if I set the car up correctly. There was an STU class 350z that looked to be well put together and had all the right bits. He was about 2 - 3 seconds faster than me. I can definitely find that time, and maybe even eclipse it with the correct setup. The fact that he was running a 275 RE71-R and I was on 245/275 Indy500 should say everything, the tires are in totally different league, and the Potenzas are much grippier.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely a huge difference in tire. I think you could definitely eat that time up.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Ever since I ran with SCCA to gauge where I stand with the setup as is, I was trying to figure out which class I can run so I can actually win something. It was really coming to two classes.

1. Run it in F Street: Cheaper route to be competitive, find some stock wheels (I sold mine because I thought I'd never need them again), change front sway bar to balance the car, take off the intakes, possibly add exhaust.

2. Run it Street Touring Ultra: More freedom for modification which means that more money has to be spent to be competitive. Pretty much everything can be modified to some degree.

I decided to go the route of F Street, since it's cheaper and it won't take much to get me up to speed. I already found a set of stock sport package sedan wheels again, not the cleanest set, but it will do fine. As far as the tires go, I will end up running RE71R, since they are the fastest autoX tire at the moment, and try to fit the most I can on the stock wheels. I am going to purchase Hotchkis front sway bar front a friend who's taking apart his 370Z time attack car for a different class. More updates coming soon, stay tuned.

Never thought I'd see these ugly bastards again, but here they are...

r0y3qh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online