ReplicaR's Time Trial Mustang build *Engine Rebuild*

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Small update: the engine is finally at the machine shop, will probably be done in 2-3 months, depending on the parts availability. In the meantime, I've decided to also replace the clutch, since the old one is pretty much the rivets on the clutch material. I've decided to step up from ACT Sport Clutch to ACT Heavy Duty clutch kit. Both kits feature the same clutch disk (street material), so it will be nice and smooth engagement, but Heavy Duty kit has a stronger pressure plate, so the clamping force will increase and torque capacity will go up from 430 pound foot of torque to 485, since my motor already makes 430 as it sits. Stiffer springs on the pressure plate will mean stiffer pedal, but I'm not too worried about that, as will be revealed later.

HyWbctu.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
26 spline input huh? I like it. That looks like a really nice clutch setup. And by the pedal comment, I’m thinking a hydraulic setup is in the works?

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
26 spline input huh? I like it. That looks like a really nice clutch setup. And by the pedal comment, I’m thinking a hydraulic setup is in the works?

Oh wow, I didn't even notice the spline count lol. Guess I'll order the 10 spline in the morning and send this one back. And yes, I'm going with hydraulic clutch assist, decided with Modern Driveline after doing some reading

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Small update: the engine is finally at the machine shop, will probably be done in 2-3 months, depending on the parts availability. In the meantime, I've decided to also replace the clutch, since the old one is pretty much the rivets on the clutch material. I've decided to step up from ACT Sport Clutch to ACT Heavy Duty clutch kit. Both kits feature the same clutch disk (street material), so it will be nice and smooth engagement, but Heavy Duty kit has a stronger pressure plate, so the clamping force will increase and torque capacity will go up from 430 pound foot of torque to 485, since my motor already makes 430 as it sits. Stiffer springs on the pressure plate will mean stiffer pedal, but I'm not too worried about that, as will be revealed later.

View attachment 20981

These clutches are a nice soft pedal feel anyways . I loved mine in my yellow car

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Oh wow, I didn't even notice the spline count lol. Guess I'll order the 10 spline in the morning and send this one back. And yes, I'm going with hydraulic clutch assist, decided with Modern Driveline after doing some

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Got the correct clutch today, sending the other one back, since it's unopened and unused. Gotta love having this kind of support from Summit Racing.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Update today: The machine shop tore it apart, and 4 rings are broken, which would explain why it's down on power and consuming 1 quart every 200 miles or so. They will clean it up further, inspect the whole thing, and let me know what's necessary. I'm hoping for just hone and rings, but prepared for bore and new pistons too.

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Read the thread. Interesting to see the progression from single tween kid to married dad. Lol. I really like this generation of your build. Good you found the broken rings. Hopefully a quick hone and new rings will fix it.
My daughter is half Ukranian. I met her mother in Yoshkar-ola, Russia. Beautiful country.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
My daughter is half Ukranian. I met her mother in Yoshkar-ola, Russia. Beautiful country.
Yeah, I enjoyed it when I was growing up there. Moved to States in 1997, and met my wife here (Ukranian), so we've got our own half Russian half Ukranian all American hybrids here (6 year old daughter, 4 year old boy, and 9 month old daughter). The current war situation definitely puts a lot of strain on interpersonal relationship, and we feel the suffering of people on both sides.

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Yeah, I enjoyed it when I was growing up there. Moved to States in 1997, and met my wife here (Ukranian), so we've got our own half Russian half Ukranian all American hybrids here (6 year old daughter, 4 year old boy, and 9 month old daughter). The current war situation definitely puts a lot of strain on interpersonal relationship, and we feel the suffering of people on both sides.
Yes, my ex's mother and father moved back to outside Kiev, and can hear the shelling and fighting. It's a bad situation that Putin put both countries in. Hopefully it ends soon. Hell, you're American now, you own a mustang. Russia is a beautiful country with some wonderful people. I enjoyed every trip I made there. But so is America.
I really like your car and the journey you and it have taken. What's next for it?

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Quite a few things to bring it into the modern age. Aside from the obvious refresh parts, I've got a FRPP oil pan to help with oil starvation under braking (motor drops to like 20 psi), converting the fuel system from return style to returnless, and then also adding hydralic clutch assist from Modern Driveline. Just when I think I'm done polishing this turd, I keep finding more ways to do it.

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Quite a few things to bring it into the modern age. Aside from the obvious refresh parts, I've got a FRPP oil pan to help with oil starvation under braking (motor drops to like 20 psi), converting the fuel system from return style to returnless, and then also adding hydralic clutch assist from Modern Driveline. Just when I think I'm done polishing this turd, I keep finding more ways to do it.
That's very cool. Wish you weren't so far away.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
What’s the reason for going returnless? How are you going to variably control the fuel pump?
I am having major issues with fuel pushing past the fuel filler cap at the track. I've tried so many methods of trying to solve this issue, but excessive heat from the engine, hot track conditions, etc, it all gets the better of the car, and it's pushing the fuel past the cap pretty regularly, last time it nearly ignited the car.

I have found this setup from VaporWorks, which comes with a module that uses map sensor and other parameters to drive the pump separately of the rest of the system. As the result of that, I should only get the fuel I need to the fuel rail, and that would also slow down the fuel pump in the tank, both of which will reduce the heat in fuel, pressure in tank, and fuel pushing out of the filler. I got to think about it the other day, and return style system is kinda dumb in the way it works. Regardless of whether you're idling or running at wide open, the fuel pump will send its maximum flow to the front. The fuel probably gets hottest while sitting in the pits waiting for the lane to open up, since at that point virtually all fuel will come back through the return line. With the returnless system, the module will pulse the fuel pump to supply enough fuel to meet the fuel pressure needs, and nothing else will leave, so much more efficient. It's basically exactly the same as what the current generation of fuel systems do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Bottom end is assembled, the motor will be fully assembled early next week. In the meantime, I need to find an adjustable oil dipstick that will thread into a 1/4 IN NPT fitting, and would allow me to adjust it so that I can accurately gauge the oil level with the new oil pan. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I ended up buying an adjustable dipstick from Moroso, the dipstick screws in, so no chance of it popping out and covering engine compartment in oil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online