ReplicaR's Time Trial Mustang build *Engine Rebuild*

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Well, since all the cool kids do it, I decided I'm gonna one for my car as well. It's kinda late to start at the beginning, so I will just post my most recent updates.Decided to clean up the look of the car a little bit. There were a few things I needed to catch up on, such as retinting the windows, fixing the sunbleach on the seats, stuff like that. One of the more obvious and visible things would be repainting the Brembo logo back onto the calipers. When I first got them, the finish was trashed, so I rattle canned them gloss black2uxtczm.jpgThe finish came out alright, but something was missing, and it bugged me that Brembo logos are not there. I've done some searching, found some logo stencils, and painted them on.e7e2c1.jpgTook a lot of coats of white, but at the end, it came out pretty good.Also, I've been working on my cooling situation. I got around to installing the new oil cooler. Setrab 920 with fan pack replaced the weak Ford Racing setup. The fan pack was wired in to be activated by the foglight switch in the dashboard. jqm1c7.jpg33pbu37.jpgI've also ordered a 21lbs. radiator cap, to help out with cooling during summer.More track updates. Toyo RA1s were finally corded at the last event, so it was time to order up new stock. This time I decided to go with Nitto NT-01, mainly because I wanted to try something different. I've heard many people saying that they stand up to heat a lot more than Toyos, and grip more. Sounds like a win win to me.2jd13k0.jpg

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Re: ReplicaR's daily driven road race Mustang build

Finally a Mod with a worth wild build!

mikey94gt

Reaction score

mmmmmmmmmmmm, LOVE the road race Mustangs.... Must see more....

MadStang

Reaction score

It's an interesting choice of oil cooler though. I have had some time to think since I'm staying N/A with the roush, and looking at my brother's RX-7 about just using the front mount oil cooler behind the RS3 front. it'd look sweet and provide great cooling, just don't know how I'd route the fittings for it to make it work..

cmsismyname

Reaction score

MadStang said:
It's an interesting choice of oil cooler though. I have had some time to think since I'm staying N/A with the roush, and looking at my brother's RX-7 about just using the front mount oil cooler behind the RS3 front. it'd look sweet and provide great cooling, just don't know how I'd route the fittings for it to make it work..
what happened with the vortech

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score

I've heard nothing but good things about Setrab. It's really thick, stores almost a quart of oil on it's own. Second thing that really impressed me about it was that it has fins like the radiator, so I imagine it could be better for cooling as well, rather than most oil cooler. Just cruising on the hwy, oil is about 30 degrees cooler. Fan pack in on there mostly for low speed stuff, high speed it should get enough flow on it's own.

Slykin

Reaction score

That's one hardcore oil cooler...Interested to hear feedback on the NT01's.

MadStang

Reaction score

ReplicaR said:
I've heard nothing but good things about Setrab. It's really thick, stores almost a quart of oil on it's own. Second thing that really impressed me about it was that it has fins like the radiator, so I imagine it could be better for cooling as well, rather than most oil cooler. Just cruising on the hwy, oil is about 30 degrees cooler. Fan pack in on there mostly for low speed stuff, high speed it should get enough flow on it's own.

Nice man! I'm crazy about aesthetics as well as function though so I'm gonna be filling the big gap behind the bumper lol. Regardless a very nice setup indeed, how difficult was the actual install? I'm contemplating custom fabbing the RX7 oil cooler and just trying to see if it'd be remotely worth the trouble.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Looking good Rep!

Build threads are fun, and once you get a ways into it, it's fun to go back and see the steps you've taken.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score

MadStang said:
Nice man! I'm crazy about aesthetics as well as function though so I'm gonna be filling the big gap behind the bumper lol. Regardless a very nice setup indeed, how difficult was the actual install? I'm contemplating custom fabbing the RX7 oil cooler and just trying to see if it'd be remotely worth the trouble.

Not very difficult. Setrab has mounting tabs on top and bottom, so it was simply a matter of drilling some holes in the lower radiator support, and bolting it up. I'm actually really stoked about how it filled the bottom opening. It came out looking exactly as it did in my head, which I was really excited about. The lines are running through the bumper and into the sandwich plate, so no hassle there either. Also, it's lighter than my old Ford Racing piece, and has almost twice the BTU range (FRPP = 19000BTU, Setrab 920 = 35000BTU)

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score

Well, the tires proved to be excellent. They had more traction over the RA1 and I felt like I could drive them a good bit harder as well, which means that I could drive it a lot harder into corners with out worrying too much about tires fading away from me.

MadStang

Reaction score

How was clearance on the 275's up front? Right now I'm a bit worried because clearance is tight with 265's on the coilovers, the camber helps a little bit on the outside edges but I'm close to rubbing on the coilover spring on the inside edge of the tires. I may have to run spacers up front and roll my fenders, but I just wanted to see how you approached the clearance issue.

I have 315/30-18's lined up for the rear, I'm gonna need all the tire I can get out back ;)

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score

No problem at all. Remember that I'm running Cobra R wheel, so our backspacing and offset figures are probably different. If anything I had issues with them rubbing on the exhaust, and that has been taken care of yesterday, because I had my tips redone all together.

MadStang

Reaction score

ReplicaR said:
No problem at all. Remember that I'm running Cobra R wheel, so our backspacing and offset figures are probably different. If anything I had issues with them rubbing on the exhaust, and that has been taken care of yesterday, because I had my tips redone all together.

also forgot you're running 17's as well. Either way, I'll make it work since there isn't a 265mm R888 or NT01. I'm not so sure I'll even run the Roush Rims on the track either, i want to get a set of rims for track only, if I can find another set of Roush rims cheap I'll do it, otherwise I'll probably pick up some basic '00R rims or something.

You should just go side exit! more noise for the driver ;)

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score

That's what I'm trying to avoid. Don't worry. The latest iteration of the rear exit does not interfere with suspension or the tires. I'm actually pretty stoked about it, since last tip design was really clunky and loud

MadStang

Reaction score

ReplicaR said:
That's what I'm trying to avoid. Don't worry. The latest iteration of the rear exit does not interfere with suspension or the tires. I'm actually pretty stoked about it, since last tip design was really clunky and loud

sweet man, hopefully one of these days I'll catch you at a track day. I'm planning for mid next year to get the car on track at Auto Club, gotta get a nice rear suspension and getting my cage built by A47.

I know your trying to avoid the side exit, but, honestly on a track car I wouldn't run anything else, I ran into issues of hearing my car next to an RX-8 that was straight piped, it really causes confusion when you don't have a shift light haha.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score

Race car maybe, street car hell no

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member