ReplicaR's Time Trial Mustang build *Engine Rebuild*

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
Sucks to hear about the hydroboost issues, but it's great that you're finally getting a new manifold. And the paint on that panel matches unbelievably well. At least, it sure looks like it does from the picture. Always loved your car.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm sure I'll sort out the hydroboost issues, and if not there are other options. I've just spent so much money and time trying to get this far, it would suck to have to undo everything and buy all stock parts again.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The dash was successfully painted to match the new panels of the interior. I threw in the center console and door panel to check the color match, and it's pretty close, to the point that if I weren't going to mention anything, most people wouldn't even notice. Pay not attention to the fitment of the center console and the door, they were loosely mounted to check the finish color match.

fXT8PsF.jpg

Yi1nTEh.jpg

QONJlVU.jpg

D9Erfmw.jpg

kOqUQSQ.jpg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Lookin real good! Its great to start fresh! I like how things are going, keep up the good work.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Another quick update. I was slowly buying back the parts needed to piece the car back together, plus some of the other parts necessary to be replaced. Once the radio harness arrives, I will be able to reinstall the Mach460 system, confirm functionality, and begin with dynamat installation. The goal is not to get too carried away, but throw it down on some of the hot spots where a lot of heat comes through, and around the mufflers to make the cabin quieter.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you are dead set on the mach system be sure to check the amps to make sure they are not draining your battery as they are known to do now. But on the flip side 20 yr old stock speakers if they are not worn out are due to shortly. Also if your wanting to keep heat down there are better product then dynamat and also better brands now too.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The Mach system is s lot of dead weight for no gain. It’s a ticking time bomb. A good head unit, a small 4 Channel amp, and a decent set of components or coaxial all the way around wouldn’t cost much. It would cut down on weight and sound a lot better.

Not to mention, last longer before you have to tear it all apart again to do this anyways. Just save yourself the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patientzero

Reaction score
I just came across this build, definitely following. The car looks great. I'm building mine for similar purposes. Currently running SCCA CAM and planning to run a few SCCA Track Night in America events this year with the end goal to get into time trials.
I would love to bounce ideas off you. I've haven't read through your whole build yet but will be shorty. I just posted my car build a couple days ago if you're interested in checking that out.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I get that Mach460 isn't the best system in the world, but it's not terrible by any means. Combine that with the fact that I got all components for around 100 bucks, and everything will plug right in, seemed like a better decision at the moment.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I just came across this build, definitely following. The car looks great. I'm building mine for similar purposes. Currently running SCCA CAM and planning to run a few SCCA Track Night in America events this year with the end goal to get into time trials.
I would love to bounce ideas off you. I've haven't read through your whole build yet but will be shorty. I just posted my car build a couple days ago if you're interested in checking that out.

I actually did take a look into your thread, since I saw LS3 in the title. It's a pretty cool build, but it will be hard to compete in cam with sn95, now that GT350R is in there as well, those cars are insanely fast .I didn't build my car for autoX, but I do use autoX for shakedown before big track events. And I've ran my daily G37S sedan with SCCA in F-Street last year, so that's my exposure to autoX.

Patientzero

Reaction score
Brett Madsen won Nationals a few years back in his car but I don't know that it was as big and competitive as it is now. You really need deep pockets to compete with the new 1LE Camaros and Shelby Mustangs. Those cars can fit 315+ tires from the factory and have suspension that just set a Nurburgring lap record. It's hard to complete with that on '78 Ford Fairmont suspension and 275 tires. Absolutely need flares, big tires, IRS or TA/PHB and some killer coilovers to be in the ballpark. The biggest advantage we had was weight. It was hard for the newer cars to get down to 3200lbs but they have raised the min weight the last two years wiping out any advantage we had. I know I will run some AutoX this summer but I'm all in on track days and focusing on that.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I'd say, build the car any way you like and enjoy it for what it is: an ok car with an ok chassis. You can try and run it in some kind of series, but the rules are usually stacked against cars where you have to change EVERYTHING to get some performance out of them.

Patientzero

Reaction score
$4,000 20 year old Mustang vs $50,000 brand new Camaro/Mustang isn't in our favor.

The track days are sounding better and better, plus I can practice on my simulator and run cheaper tires, lol.

AStangThang

Reaction score
How did I miss this thread, ima dummy :D. I love the paint combination of your interior. I'm sure you've probably stated this, but what type of seats are you going to run in them.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
remember the mach amps when your battery starts to die. Not if but when...

I don't know about that. I've ran an Mach460 right up until I gutted the interior in 2016, never really had any issues with it. We'll see I guess. The car lives on triclecharger anyway, so battery discharge won't be something I'd notice.

How did I miss this thread, ima dummy :D. I love the paint combination of your interior. I'm sure you've probably stated this, but what type of seats are you going to run in them.

I'm gonna keep the seats that are in it right now. Sparco Ergo for driver and Sparco Sprint 5 for passenger.

AStangThang

Reaction score
Yes bro, YES! Did your paint end up matching great? I love the black/grey look, its tough man. You know how real world looks a little different than online pics. I love my saddle tan/black dash, but I want black seats, and carpet. I may do away with my rear seats because no one is ever back there, they still look brand new. Great work bro.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The paint worked out pretty great, I'll be honest. I wasn't expecting much, but it actually stuck to the panel pretty well, and the color was super close, can't ask for much more than that. One thing to keep in mind is that if you were to scratch the panel, the paint will come off, but that shouldn't be too big of a problem in my case, since the car is barely being used at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online