ReplicaR's Time Trial Mustang build *Engine Rebuild*

AStangThang

Reaction score
Are you just talking about having them widened or a complete set of custom wheels? I know of a place or two that will make a set of custom wheels but you better open up the checkbook. Looking at $10k+
Wow!!! 10k!!! I know there's a lot that goes into it, but I was going to guess around $3-4k. I would have never dreamed of 10k. Scratch that idea. How do they go about widening them?

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
6Jgty5G.jpg

Patientzero

Reaction score
Looks good. What did you do about the gap between the hub adapter and the steering wheel trim? I love my Sparco wheel but that gap is hideous. I was thinking about having something 3D printed or cnc'd to bolt to the hub adapter and cover the gap.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I used a clock spring from a pre-airbag foxbody mustang to make the horn work, and it kinda covered up the hole as well. You can sort of see it in the picture below.

upload_2019-2-22_11-35-36.png

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Dropped off the car at the shop to fix the hydroboost issue, hoping this gets sorted out.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Some positive messages from the shop, the new pump has been installed, and we haven't been able to make it fail yet. We've moved a hydroboost return fitting from somewhere in the middle of the line, to return right into the reservoir, which is similar to OEM return location, replaced the pressure side hose from the power steering pump into the hydroboost, eliminating the leak. The technician tried to make it fail by raising the revs and vigorously putting in steering input and brake pedal, but no failure so far, so things are looking promising. The car is off to the stereo shop today, installing new speakers, new head unit, amp to power it all. After that, it's sound deadening back in, reinstall interior, and back to the tuning shop, to finish the partial throttle mapping.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's good news! I am now debating a 351 swap, if I do I may be interested in hydroboost to eliminate the booster. If you manage to get a confident, reliable setup I might just end up copying you

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Quick question for those with aftermarket stereos. How do you get the level of base that you'd get from Mach460 out of aftermarket 6x9 speakers. I just got the car back from the stereo shop, and they installed 6x8 speakers into the doors, and 6x9 speakers into the rear deck, they are all getting powered by an amp, and yet there is barely any base at all.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, why did they put 6x9’s in the rear deck?? That’s not the right size. Second if all try balancing all the way to left or right and see if bass is better. If so then the speakers are out of polarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there is also a good chance that the deck settings might have it turned down or on the amp. See if the cross over settings are turned onto some kind of high-pass setting that cuts the bass out. Check both the deck and the amp, if you tell us which ones you have we might be able to help.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Weren't the factory Mach 460 rear speakers also in an enclosure? Wouldn’t that give them the “performance edge” over a free air mounted 6x9? @ttocs ?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The stock speakers were designed to work with enclosures but on the other hand most aftermarket speakers are made for more of a trunk/free air design. Besides being different sizes the woofers also only played bass which helped them as well so its just not an apples/apples comparison. Either one should play pretty well. I would expect the aftermarket speakers to have a better low end response than the stock speakers just because of the larger size but there might have been more power going to the stock speakers depending on what amp you have. As logan said if they screwed up and wired some of the speakers backwards it will cancel the bass out because as one speaker moves forward, the other moves backwards the exact same amount and the bass suffers. By simply disconnecting half the speakers, or adjusting the balance/fader to one side and not the other if the base gets louder then something is backwards/out of phase and an easy fix.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Alright, to clear a few things up, the 6x9s in the back were just installed into the rear body of the car where the Mach460 deck was installed into previously. I've checked the specs on the speakers that were put in, and they are speced to higher wattage than stock Mach460 speakers, which were 80 watts each. My front speakers are Pioneer TS-D65F with nominal output of 90 watts / peak 270 watts, and rears are Pioneer TS-A6960F with nominal output of 90 watts / peak 450 watts, which should have easily outperformed stock system. I remember even the speakers in the doors used to make a pretty good amount of base, but with these, I'm literally getting nothing.

So, plan of attack.

1. Test the speakers by flipping the wires on the amp (I assume there will be a positive negative connection ports on amp)
2. Test the speakers by changing balance from left to right to see if the bass improves.
3. Find out the output of the amp, to see if we are getting as much power as we can.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no need to flip wires. Just disconnect an RCA or use the balance/fader on the radio to select which speakers to play and see how it sounds.

Also The power ratings on the speakers are the most useless number given. An 80 watt speaker isn't necessarily louder then a 70 watt nor does it have to sound better. I have never paid attention to power ratings Just feed them as much clean power as you can and keep it out of clipping and your good.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
no need to flip wires. Just disconnect an RCA or use the balance/fader on the radio to select which speakers to play and see how it sounds.

Can you elaborate a bit more please?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
before you flip any wires on the amp,
1.) adjust the balance or fader all the way to one side and then the other and go back/forth. If a speaker is out of phase you will hear less bass when they are all playing and then it will get louder when you go to one side.
2.) The other way to test this is to just disconnect the rca signal input on the amp. Now I would not do this myself because if you have a pioneer radio and ground out the rca's after its been powered there is a itty bitty fuse that pops and then you will have electrical noise you can hear. Its one of those things that works, but there are better ways.

Now honestly I would not dick with the wiring all that much myself. if you paid someone to install it I would ask them about it and see if they have any ideas why. Start there and if they do not know then we can tear into the wiring but they/we never like it when you tear into it and then come back and say something was not right. They might have just turned the high pass settings on or some other little thing that can just be turned off.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Well, I had some time to play around the radio, and looks like the Bass might be there after all, but it won't be on the level of the Mach460 huge bump. I've tried to change the balance and crossover, and the bass didn't really increase much at all, if any (probably placebo effect). Turning the bass up resulted in a lot of rattling from the bare body panels, I believe some dynamat is due all over the panels. I think I'll try and take the same route as my G37, and run a small sub on the rear shelf between two speakers. That will eliminate the need for having a box in the trunk, which I don't want.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your not running a small sub then no it probably will not have as much impact as the 460 did. They were limited by size but by simply taking the mid/high range out of the signal and putting them in an enclosure they were still a step or two ahead bass-wise from a full range aftermarket speaker.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Here is something I don't understand, is there something else in that Mach460 rear deck aside from those 4 speakers on top and amps on the bottom? Why does it make so much bass?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online