ReplicaR's Time Trial Mustang build *Engine Rebuild*

Hiram

Reaction score
Looking good!

Too bad the rpf1s don’t come in 18x10s...

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Looking good!

Too bad the rpf1s don’t come in 18x10s...

Sure they do. Wrong offset though, you would either have to run a 1 inch spacer, or move up to 10.5 inch wheel.

upload_2020-4-2_7-6-32.png

Hiram

Reaction score
Oh that’s right! 38s, but the low offsets look nicer!

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Coronavirus Quarantine Update: Nothing new to report really. After last track day, I've got a whole list of things to address, so I've been slowly buying up the parts I need to get things going as soon as the quarantine is lifted, and we are free to cautiously move around once again. So far I've purchased adjustable front sway bar end links, a new Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump, new Motorcraft fuel filter (who knows when it was changed last). Next week I will probably order the Kenny Brown brake cooling duct plates, then order the dual ply brake hose, and figure out how to adapt that to the Saleen bumper. I may end up servicing the injectors as well, since we discovered that one bank is running leaner than the other, and finally I gotta start fabricating the radiator duct to use with Saleen bumper. Lots of work to do, all of which would have been much easier, had the car been under the same roof, but oh well. I was also able to source some pretty cheap Saleen floor mats, and decided to repaint the calipers to have a Saleen logo on them as well, after the car is done. Going all in kinda.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Stoked to see one of my favourite builds still going strong

50HSN95

Reaction score
Kewl! Looks nice. I have always liked that bumper with the three vents on each side. It would be out of place though on mine as the exhaust coumes out on the wrong end of the car. License plate made my giggle a bit, I had not noticed that before.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Well guys, here it is, in all of its glory.

A short experience with the Saleen stuff. I decided to buy Saleen original parts, because I figured that I would have the best fitment with it. It's kinda disappointing to find out just how much massaging even the real kit requires to look good. What's even more disappointing is that none of it is up to OEM Ford standards. I guess I forget that in the 90s the body kits weren't well designed. The biggest issue I have with these kits is lack of engineering. They had an opportunity to reverse engineer factory stuff, but chose to cut corners. For example, factory rear bumper wraps around the bracket, which prevents both warping and sagging, where as Saleen just went with good enough approach of screwing it to the bracket. All factory front bumpers have a finished (sealed) underside, Saleen is just open. I'm glad they at least retooled the side skirts to use the OEM mounting points, because the original design that needed to be screwed into the bottom rocker was barbaric. It's stuff you probably wouldn't notice if you were to buy a Saleen car, and maybe that was good enough in the 90s, but I honestly expected more.

Having said that, I'm glad that I spent the pretty penny to get this done. The shop that I took it to, spent about a week trimming, sanding, and reworking the kit until it would fit correctly, and as a result of that, it literally looks like a new car. Some obligatory pictures.

aReokNd.jpg

J1DNbo9.jpg

E7NIAUx.jpg

jsQmTn3.jpg

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looks really good with the kit! I've always liked the Saleen style. :)

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Thanks man. Where have you been, feels like it's been forever!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
can you still remove the front fenders now with the sideskirts installed? I had to modify my fenders pretty heavily to make mine still be removable with the side exhaust because of how it covers the fender in the same way the saleen kit looks like it does.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Removing them requires undoing some hardware, and removing the sticky tape

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Removing them requires undoing some hardware, and removing the sticky tape
Car looks great man. Unfortunately the guys that rebuilt my car 20 years ago decided it was a good idea to use a screw to mount my saleen side skirts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dude i love the Saleen kit on this thing . Sucks that the Fitment required a bunch of work but they did a killer job and the car looks awesome .

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with it overall. I'll take it back to the shop in a few weeks, some tape is coming loose, I don't want to damage anything. I've got an autox in about month and a half, would be nice to get some action shots. In between then, I still have to sort out the lean condition, and finish installation of brake vents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online