Restoring black plastic

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Hey guys, what's a good solution for restoring black plastic?

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I've heard and seen people restore black plastic with peanut butter. Although I haven't looked into or asked about the method or what kinds of peanut butter work best etc.

I usually just use armor protective wipes but that only lasts a month in exterior plastics at best before I'm wiping it down again.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

jws4621

Reaction score
I have had good luck restoring some black plastic with Mr Clean Magic Erasers. Just make sure you have water with them also.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
I've heard and seen people restore black plastic with peanut butter. Although I haven't looked into or asked about the method or what kinds of peanut butter work best etc.

I usually just use armor protective wipes but that only lasts a month in exterior plastics at best before I'm wiping it down again.

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

I've used PB on the black rubber trim under the windows and it works well pulling out all the dirt and grease. I dont know how it would work on hard plastics though

joser714

Reaction score
Back on black or some product at Wal-Mart. I honestly don't know the name but it has a "as seen on tv" logo on it. Question about the peanut butter method is do you rinse it off or wipe it off

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I think you leave it on, and seek your dog at it lol. I'll check out the back to black. I've used it before, pretty nifty stuff.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
You just let the PB sit for a minute then wipe it off

Depending on what you are wanting to restore you could always just paint it. I used rustoleum satin black on my cowl cover over 2 years and it still looks like this

Sinned83

Reaction score
I think kissrocksforever uses the PB. I used poor boys trim restorer on my grand Cherokees faded plastic it was a good product you can spray it on and leave it or wipe it off.

joser714

Reaction score
Idk I might look retarded but I might use it. My faded parts are the trim where the top is and the cowl

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I use Turtle wax Ice paste car wax on my mirrors and cowl. They look like new and I only wax it twice a year.

The liquid wax might work too. I can only find the paste at Summit Racing. The lable says it ok to use on plastic.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
You just let the PB sit for a minute then wipe it off

Depending on what you are wanting to restore you could always just paint it. I used rustoleum satin black on my cowl cover over 2 years and it still looks like this

honestly the only permanent solution. prep it right and it will last forever.

5litrarag

Reaction score
Prep it and paint it... dont be fvcking around putting food on your car. jesus christ.

Duplicolor trim paint - $9 bucks a can. Come on step it up fellas

2011-07-03_13-28-22_830.jpg

It even works on items that are not plastic

WdMZauslz_IYHWFuB8M7G2gLUmQXBKRKkrNsoZ6yCio=w1215-h685-no

hondarocks61

Reaction score
SEM 39143 trim black would be the correct product to use. Its a really nice looking satin black and you can use it on plastic and even rubber trim.

chaos254

Reaction score
u7y8upyn.jpg

Got this at walmart and it works great. Night and day difference for the dull trim pieces

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ProKiller

Reaction score
i used mother's back to black on my cherokee and it worked okay enough but it was a constant reapply thing. that stuff was really bad by the time i got it though.

i say just paint it. either the trim paint like said or krylon fusion flat black.

jws4621

Reaction score
3142rna.jpg

This is half done with a mr clean magic eraser. I found out about using these when I was trying to clean the black stripe on my 84. Works wonders on pulling crap out of semi flat black parts.

I wasn't quite finished just took a shot to show a friend.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
What is preparation process to respraying the faded the trim pieces around the car. This can keep me busy for the summer work I am going to do on it.