Richport distributor any good?

gnx547

Reaction score
Oreillys Auto sells a new Richport distributor but it is made in China. Are these distributors any good? Does anyone know any other brands that are USA made?

toyman

Reaction score
I thought Richporters were made in Canada. They are generally recognized as being a good alternative to the OEM distributor.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
The distributor gear on the Richport, can it be used on a (2031) Crane Cam? Or will it get all chewed up?

thearborbarber

Reaction score
Only had mine about a month. Fit and finish are great. Dropped in and timed super easy. The horse$hit brand #2 dizzy the previous owner put in had the PIP die.

RichV

Reaction score
I have one in the 94. My cam ate the gear, they replaced it for free. It has a lifetime, at least mine does. Good quality IMO.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had one in my 88 and put one in my 94 as well when the PIP took a dump. 88 was flawless. 94's was machined wrong and had a crazy amount of shaft play that led to the base that rides along the bottom of the actual housing to eat into the housing and fill my block with aluminum shavings instantly. Flushed it out, got another off the shelf, boom-bang good to go. I've worked at Oreilly's for 3 years and mine is the only bad one I've seen come through. I've had a couple warrantied out for BS things but mine has been the only legitimate issue I've seen. I have terrible luck.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
I have one in the 94. My cam ate the gear, they replaced it for free. It has a lifetime, at least mine does. Good quality IMO.

What cam are you using? What dist gear did you end up using?

I had one in my 88 and put one in my 94 as well when the PIP took a dump. 88 was flawless. 94's was machined wrong and had a crazy amount of shaft play that led to the base that rides along the bottom of the actual housing to eat into the housing and fill my block with aluminum shavings instantly. Flushed it out, got another off the shelf, boom-bang good to go. I've worked at Oreilly's for 3 years and mine is the only bad one I've seen come through. I've had a couple warrantied out for BS things but mine has been the only legitimate issue I've seen. I have terrible luck.

I'm kinda of afraid using the Richport especially being made in China. I just don't want it to tear up in my engine with shavings. How about Cardone? Are their distributors good?

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I'm kinda of afraid using the Richport especially being made in China. I just don't want it to tear up in my engine with shavings. How about Cardone? Are their distributors good?

The shavings were an inconvience but not a big deal. Flushed the motor out with some diesel fuel followed by some cheap oil and topped it off and changed the oil filter a couple hundred miles later to make myself feel better. I wouldn't let my one bad experience turn you away. Cardone are reman'd and in my opinion, quality control sucks on them. Some things aren't that bad from them but anything electronic, I try to steer people away from.

RichV

Reaction score

It wasn't anything with the distributor, it was the cam had damage before the distributor was installed. But it is a E303. I ordered the 94/95 distributor and the gear I used is on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online