Ride Of The Month (ROTM) Suggestions?

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to think about ways to improve the ROTM and I think the problem with it now is the fact that it's overly complicated for no good reason.

ROTM should be about the best cars on our forum. Period. Exterior, interior, suspension, motor, time slips, custom bits, maybe even the back story... every single aspect of the car should be judged and the ROTM should always be one the best cars on the forum. Having themes just seems like a way to give everyone a trophy, regardless of whether or not their car is overall some of the forum's favorites. Along with that issue, having themes is just narrowing down who can be nominated, which can make the competition more interesting to a degree but it just seems to be a limit more than creating new possibilities. There was a point when it seemed like you had to have a Cobra front bumper, a S281 wing, and Saleen wheels to win ROTM but most of the cars on the forums now strive to have something unique about them and that means that that isn't as big of an issue anymore. I could give two shits about who has the "best ass" or the "best clone". Let's just get back to the best cars. On top of that, honorable mentions just clutter up the nomination thread. I went back and searched the forum to the olden days to see how it used to be done, back when it seemed the forum actually cared more about ROTM. Nomination thread went up for a week or so, you were allowed to nominate one person. The only requirements involved post counts to insure that only contributing members of the forum really had a dog in the fight (but the limit was low, 150posts to nominate or be nominated/vote or no post limit if you were a supporting member). If someone agreed with a nomination, they would also nominate them. The 5-6ish with the most nominations would go on to voting. Voting thread opens, people vote, voting closes again after a week or so, someone wins. The last voting thread was open for 4 days. That seemed a bit short, I feel like it should be open for at least a week to give people who aren't checking the forum every single day somewhat of a chance to vote.

I understand the desire to want to get more people on the forum involved and excited every month about ROTM but it's becoming too gimmicky. I would much rather vote and keep up with voting on a fierce ROTM competition between some super nice cars over which one would be the best to be behind in traffic.

My 0.02

Wichers123

Reaction score
I've been trying to think about ways to improve the ROTM and I think the problem with it now is the fact that it's overly complicated for no good reason.

ROTM should be about the best cars on our forum. Period. Exterior, interior, suspension, motor, time slips, custom bits, maybe even the back story... every single aspect of the car should be judged and the ROTM should always be one the best cars on the forum. Having themes just seems like a way to give everyone a trophy, regardless of whether or not their car is overall some of the forum's favorites. Along with that issue, having themes is just narrowing down who can be nominated, which can make the competition more interesting to a degree but it just seems to be a limit more than creating new possibilities. There was a point when it seemed like you had to have a Cobra front bumper, a S281 wing, and Saleen wheels to win ROTM but most of the cars on the forums now strive to have something unique about them and that means that that isn't as big of an issue anymore. I could give two shits about who has the "best ass" or the "best clone". Let's just get back to the best cars. On top of that, honorable mentions just clutter up the nomination thread. I went back and searched the forum to the olden days to see how it used to be done, back when it seemed the forum actually cared more about ROTM. Nomination thread went up for a week or so, you were allowed to nominate one person. The only requirements involved post counts to insure that only contributing members of the forum really had a dog in the fight (but the limit was low, 150posts to nominate or be nominated/vote or no post limit if you were a supporting member). If someone agreed with a nomination, they would also nominate them. The 5-6ish with the most nominations would go on to voting. Voting thread opens, people vote, voting closes again after a week or so, someone wins. The last voting thread was open for 4 days. That seemed a bit short, I feel like it should be open for at least a week to give people who aren't checking the forum every single day somewhat of a chance to vote.

I understand the desire to want to get more people on the forum involved and excited every month about ROTM but it's becoming too gimmicky. I would much rather vote and keep up with voting on a fierce ROTM competition between some super nice cars over which one would be the best to be behind in traffic.

My 0.02
+1

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

My 0.02

Thank you for the reply.

I agree with you for the most part.

You must have missed the chaos just before I took over though. An over welming majority of the forum didn't want the "free for all" style ROTM you mention_ they wanted themes.

The honorable mention is there because many members simply couldn't handle 1 nom.

As for last months voting, it was definitely up for more than 4 days. I did have to rush last month a bit more than I'd like since I was going on holidays. So it was rush ROTM, or no ROTM.

I'm definitely open to try an anything goes month, that's how I enjoyed ROTM when I first joined. I'll try to do one and see how it goes.
Its all testing and learning for me.
Thanks for the suggestion.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You must have missed the chaos just before I took over though. An over welming majority of the forum didn't want the "free for all" style ROTM you mention_ they wanted themes.

As for last months voting, it was definitely up for more than 4 days. I did have to rush last month a bit more than I'd like since I was going on holidays. So it was rush ROTM, or no ROTM.

You're going to have to elaborate on the "chaos" because, apparently, I missed that. It gets a little unorganized from time to time but it's going to happen occasionally. A little bit of structure and regularity is good. But too much sorta kills the fun.

Last month's voting went up on the 1st and closed on the 5th. 5 days total, regardless, not quite long enough IMHO.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You're going to have to elaborate on the "chaos" because, apparently, I missed that. It gets a little unorganized from time to time but it's going to happen occasionally. A little bit of structure and regularity is good. But too much sorta kills the fun.

Last month's voting went up on the 1st and closed on the 5th. 5 days total, regardless, not quite long enough IMHO.

I'll try to find the cleaned up thread after work. But basically people just started name bombing and yeah it turned into an ugly month.

And yes again... I was on holidays. So that's the way it had to happen, or not happen at all. Believe me I'm trying to do week periods.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When there are no rules or themes people start nominating their bff's. I mean this in the nicest of ways, but some of the cars that were nominated in the past couple months when we didn't set rules were ugly stock pieces of crap. They were only nominated because of a popularity factor of some sort. There was even a time when people were being nominated for "contributing and being a good source of tech" on the forum. Sorry but that has nothing to do with ROTM.

The rules were created to sort of step away from these types of nominations. Times have changed and unfortunately people don't look for the jaw-dropping build anymore (though I wish they still did). Whenever ROTM comes around I love going through the archives and nominating cars/users that don't post much and has a car that definitely deserves attention.

I'm all up for going back to the old ROTM style next month and seeing how it pans out but I have very low expectations at this point.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^ what he said.

I'm definitely up for trying a "tradition ROTM" month. I really enjoyed how it worked when I first joined, but things have changed. Now that I'm doing this I just need to try different things and see what works and what doesn't.

I would appreciate patients and feedback :)

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Steve nailed it . Lots of turds have been nominated because of being buddies ... Also like he said if you go look through some older threads some guys have some unreal cars that aren't very active here anymore

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
+2 this months theme is plain stupid ....

Steve nailed it . Lots of turds have been nominated because of being buddies ... Also like he said if you go look through some older threads some guys have some unreal cars that aren't very active here anymore
:handz:

I'm confused.
Are you just not happy with this months theme?
So far you're the only one that showed negativity.

Instead of calling it stupid, do you have suggestions for other ROTM themes?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just thing that was the worst theme yet I liked julys idea . A lot of the others haven't been bad either

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I just thing that was the worst theme yet I liked julys idea . A lot of the others haven't been bad either

Okay, what didn't you like about it?
I need something constructive to go on.

I thought july's theme would be really popular, but it wasn't at all.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Okay, what didn't you like about it?
I need something constructive to go on.

I thought july's theme would be really popular, but it wasn't at all.

I thought that one was great . I'm just sad I couldn't find that irs mystic to nominate this month

Wichers123

Reaction score
Define pieces of crap, my car is no looker but I have alot of hard work and been through a lot learning with this car. To most my car is not worth mentioning.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I thought that one was great . I'm just sad I couldn't find that irs mystic to nominate this month
There's a chick on the insta with a mystic mach I think it was IRS

edit: I lied no IRS but the car is sweet

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I agree 100% that ROTM shouldn't have much to do with the member but there will always be a problem with people nominating their buddies or the nice guys of the forums. It will always be a sort of popularity contest but I don't think it is enough of a problem to take a win away from someone or enough of a problem to limit the contest more and more.

It is somewhat annoying to see run-of-the-mill stock Mustangs in the running for ROTM but when it comes right down to it, they are not the ones who will win it. It's like all the small party candidates that run for president- they may have a following and may get some votes, but Nader just ain't going to be president anytime soon. The next month, they won't be allowed to be in the runnings, and if you feel like that particular car pushed another more deserving car out of the running, well it's time to nominate them.

I don't hate the idea of themed months but I do not think they should be the majority of the ROTMs. I thought the project ROTM last year was a cool idea, it was a nice break, but I think making themes for every single month will end up with people being left out or cars getting recognized for the wrong reasons or really nice cars not getting any recognition because they didn't fit in any of the random categories.

The month's theme is not that good. Don't get me wrong, getting nominated and winning ROTM is really cool but I would be more than a little annoyed if I put a lot of effort and work into my car and won a contest that looked only at the one section of the car from one angle and couldn't be nominated to win for the rest of the car for an entire year.

The honorable mention thing still seems useless to me. If people can't decide on just one nomination, then don't count any of their nominations until they narrow it down to just that one. Through my understandings of the rules on nominations as they are right now, you have one nomination and one honorable mention and honorable mention is supposed to help in breaking ties. So if person A gets 3 noms, and person B gets 3 noms and 1 HM, person B goes on to voting, that can sort of make sense. But what if person A gets 3 noms, person B gets 3 noms and 1 HM, and then person C gets 5 HMs? Whats to say C doesn't deserve to be in the voting since more people mentioned them? I'm not saying this has happened in the past and I'm not saying it will happen ever, but I think with something like nominations, keeping it simple is better. If there's a tie between just a couple of people, then let them both go on to voting. There isn't a set number of open spots for ROTM so roll with it. If you've got 3 cars that are def going to voting, and 6 cars tied for that 4th spot, then I wouldn't have any problem with letting the mod staff decide between those 6 or using other methods like picking between them based on who is a supporting member and if it needs to go even further than that, post count, join date, anything, but I think scenarios like this will still be uncommon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online