Ride Of The Month (ROTM) Suggestions?

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I agree 100% that ROTM shouldn't have much to do with the member but there will always be a problem with people nominating their buddies or the nice guys of the forums. It will always be a sort of popularity contest but I don't think it is enough of a problem to take a win away from someone or enough of a problem to limit the contest more and more.

It is somewhat annoying to see run-of-the-mill stock Mustangs in the running for ROTM but when it comes right down to it, they are not the ones who will win it. It's like all the small party candidates that run for president- they may have a following and may get some votes, but Nader just ain't going to be president anytime soon. The next month, they won't be allowed to be in the runnings, and if you feel like that particular car pushed another more deserving car out of the running, well it's time to nominate them.
Whether or not you think a particular car is ROTM worthy it doesnt matter. Every and any car deserves to be in the running if they they come out as one of the top nominated.

I don't hate the idea of themed months but I do not think they should be the majority of the ROTMs. I thought the project ROTM last year was a cool idea, it was a nice break, but I think making themes for every single month will end up with people being left out or cars getting recognized for the wrong reasons or really nice cars not getting any recognition because they didn't fit in any of the random categories.
This is a two way street. There's cars that wouldn't be recognized without the help of a theme. Just because a car isn't an all around rotm worthy car doesn't mean they don't deserve to be in the spot light. Racecars for example, they get beat up and aren't the prettiest. Not really a normal rotm car IMO.

The month's theme is not that good. Don't get me wrong, getting nominated and winning ROTM is really cool but I would be more than a little annoyed if I put a lot of effort and work into my car and won a contest that looked only at the one section of the car from one angle and couldn't be nominated to win for the rest of the car for an entire year.
I'm not saying you have to agree with me, I appreciate the constructive criticism. This month was just something to try, and it seems a bunch of members think its a fun theme. I wouldn't have a problem winning a rotm based on one angle, I'd just be happy to win. The sitting out sucks yes, but who cares. You had your time.

The honorable mention thing still seems useless to me. If people can't decide on just one nomination, then don't count any of their nominations until they narrow it down to just that one. You try sorting through a name dropped month. Not fun, it needs organization. Through my understandings of the rules on nominations as they are right now, you have one nomination and one honorable mention and honorable mention is supposed to help in breaking ties. So if person A gets 3 noms, and person B gets 3 noms and 1 HM, person B goes on to voting, that can sort of make sense. But what if person A gets 3 noms, person B gets 3 noms and 1 HM, and then person C gets 5 HMs? Whats to say C doesn't deserve to be in the voting since more people mentioned them? I'm not saying this has happened in the past and I'm not saying it will happen ever, but I think with something like nominations, keeping it simple is better. If there's a tie between just a couple of people, then let them both go on to voting. There isn't a set number of open spots for ROTM so roll with it. If you've got 3 cars that are def going to voting, and 6 cars tied for that 4th spot, then I wouldn't have any problem with letting the mod staff decide There would be riots if the mod staff simply decided. Not going to work. between those 6 or using other methods like picking between them based on who is a supporting member and if it needs to go even further than that, post count, join date, anything, but I think scenarios like this will still be uncommon. I understand your point with the HM, but so far in my experience it has helped with the tie breaks nicely. You get some really weird results and you really dont want to run more than 7 people. With the HM I like how it gets some more names into thread. For example this month my HM was SVTstang96. After my HM a few other members nominated/HM which may not have even considered him.

I can try it without the HM, but many members seem to not be able to handle it.

I hope that is a decent reply. I understand completely what you're saying, but there's really 2 sides for everything you mentioned.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=10558]duh09[/MENTION]
Just finished tallying the nominations.

This month is a good example of why HM can be useful.

There was 4 members that are going through with nominations. Not enough to do ROTM in case one or two don't respond in time. So onto the next person... There was 8 members next with 1 nomination each. I think 12 member rotm would be too many. There was 1 member who had an HM. So 5 people is a good start. All 5 members I think are active enough to respond to my PM within 3 days.

If I don't get enough responses, then I'll put the remaining members names into a bucket and draw 2 out. I'll give the drawn members a day or two to respond and go from there. I think that's the only fair way to do it. I want to give the community as much as a possible, so I'd rather not make the staff pick.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I'm glad we did a no theme. Gave us (or atleast me) a chance to submit our nomination that we've had in mind for a while but didn't fit in with the theme. You're doing a good job Richard :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so this month there are 4 people that have been nominated. Then there is a 7 way tie for the 5th...

I think the only fair thing to do is draw out of a hat the last 2 people who will be nominated?

RichV

Reaction score
From the 7 way, pick the 2 nominated 1st by time/day. Make it fair IMO.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay. I can do 4, its just that not everyone replies.... These people should though.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay. I can do 4, its just that not everyone replies.... These people should though.

I would do 4, and if they don't reply, send an email to the other nominations that were tied and the first to reply fill their space.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Alternating is good imo. Maybe one month for example, White SN's, next black, or maybe an age bracket for one? Idk

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
next black, or maybe an age bracket for one? Idk
I was going to do black for October, but black cars very frequently are nominated and frequently win. Even though there are tons of deserving black cars, we need a chance for variety.

Age bracket as in members age? Not going to happen. You are then nominating based on the member, not the car. Also, I have no idea who's what age. I can give a rough guess, especially the younger but that's too difficult.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I was going to do black for October, but black cars very frequently are nominated and frequently win. Even though there are tons of deserving black cars, we need a chance for variety.

Age bracket as in members age? Not going to happen. You are then nominating based on the member, not the car. Also, I have no idea who's what age. I can give a rough guess, especially the younger but that's too difficult.

Valid points

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online

No members online now.