Rio Red 98 GT Build

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I think the duplicolor black is a good match also, but I do use SEM myself. Latemodelresto sells the SEM interior dye/paint.

Ok thanks for the info. Ill check out the sem. Ill look at that other thread and see how his turned out. I will probably end up doing that because the grey gets dirty up there.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Tony's panels came out beautiful. I will be doing this if I don't go full black

I have the black and tan two tone and have been fighting the urge to go all black for many years. One of the reasons I don't is most of the high end cars I get in have a two tone interior so I always thought of it as a way to separate myself from all the teenagers who go black as soon as they buy them used.
Just about every car show I go to you see almost all black interiors now. They do look good but a well setup mix can be really nice especially if you do a black carpet to break up the gray/tan/red etc.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I have the black and tan two tone and have been fighting the urge to go all black for many years. One of the reasons I don't is most of the high end cars I get in have a two tone interior so I always thought of it as a way to separate myself from all the teenagers who go black as soon as they buy them used.
Just about every car show I go to you see almost all black interiors now. They do look good but a well setup mix can be really nice especially if you do a black carpet to break up the gray/tan/red etc.

That is a very good point, I already have the black carpet put in so I think the two tone front and rear panels will pull it off nicely.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When I saw the pics of your installed black carpet that is what made me think your car would look great with the black tops. You turn the gray into an accent color.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The picture tony put up of the landau black was the SEM. He also had clear coat, do you know if he cleared the panels?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know, he will check in as soon as he is done supermodel fishing.
[MENTION=17070]Tony[/MENTION]

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Went back to the car for some more cleaning. I knew I wanted a wire tuck and a clean engine bay.

Started taking it apart for the wire tuck.
image_zps0d937ce7.jpg

Then went the hydroboost and k-member
image_zps538dbbb6.jpg

image_zps058492aa.jpg

Then I started cleaning, and cleaning, and cleaning. Did I say this was filthy?
image_zpsda3110e5.jpg

image_zpsbf886bc2.jpg

At this point I noticed the paint was pretty much wiping off. I was trying to save the paint but it just wasn't happening. So I talked to the painter in the shop next to mine and he said to just buy the paint and he will spray it for me.

So next came the a/c system removal.
image_zps0e2ca6ce.jpg

image_zps84192d1e.jpg

A/C is out, did more cleaning
image_zps2b58fdca.jpg

image_zps2799160c.jpg

Started prepping for paint.

image_zpsd97c4fed.jpg

image_zps4369d1dc.jpg

image_zps80c1f6b9.jpg

image_zps5b7d714b.jpg

image_zpsfaa26d7e.jpg

At this point I was pretty much ready for paint.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
wow man you are doing serious work here lol. awesome!!! saleens look great on there also!

as for the interior door panel 2 tone i originally used duplicolor vinyl/fabric black. it was good enough but not perfect. the sheen was a tad too shiny compared to the black on the dash.

so i went with landau black SEM. also low luster clear on the plastic cup/pulls. came out PERFECT!

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
wow man you are doing serious work here lol. awesome!!! saleens look great on there also!

as for the interior door panel 2 tone i originally used duplicolor vinyl/fabric black. it was good enough but not perfect. the sheen was a tad too shiny compared to the black on the dash.

so i went with landau black SEM. also low luster clear on the plastic cup/pulls. came out PERFECT!

Thanks for the info man! I hope its not a problem but I am going to follow your lead on the two tone panels.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Alright, so Tuesday night 16SEP2014 I went next do to see the painters and just hang out for a little bit. He asked if I was ready to paint and when I told him yes, it was on.

last minute prep work
image_zps472a5cef.jpg

image_zps0bddb5d6.jpg

Painters getting ready
image_zps47e78120.jpg

image_zps12eceb12.jpg

Before we started spraying, the painter showed me how the gun worked (I had never painted before). Then he says "you will do the paint, I will do the clear". So we went to work, got it all sprayed and cleared in about 45 minutes.

Here she is that night right after paint.
image_zps1eac461c.jpg

image_zpsc6b0c9a3.jpg

Then the next morning
image_zpsc80809bd.jpg

image_zps9e5118aa.jpg

I let the car sit for the rest of the week last week. I have been slowly putting this thing together from there.
Just to emphasize the difference,

Before:

image_zps472a5cef.jpg
After:
image_zps9e5118aa.jpg

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I do have a question now, how did the paint react to the vinyl on the panel vs the plastic on the panel? Did it come out with the same color and shine?
the plastic seemed a tad shiny vs the vinyl. so VERY thin coats of low luster clear did the trick. i think 3 to be exact is what i sprayed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online