Rio Red 98 GT Build

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you need to be careful either painting or dying the door panels. You an see how the adhesive is already releasing and making bubbles and some paints will actually cause the glue to release and you will end up with a black piece of vinyl coming off the door panel. Don't just go grab anything if tony has had good luck with door panels then find out what he uses.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
you need to be careful either painting or dying the door panels. You an see how the adhesive is already releasing and making bubbles and some paints will actually cause the glue to release and you will end up with a black piece of vinyl coming off the door panel. Don't just go grab anything if tony has had good luck with door panels then find out what he uses.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know paint could separate the adhesive. I plan to do them the same way Tony did his. I might even find a set of panels to replace mine because of the bubbles in the vinyl.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
op i don't wanna hijack your build thread with my door panels lol. i ave a certain way of prepping, painting and maintaining painted interior pieces.

if one is going to go through the trouble of refurbishing interior vinyl/plastic then i would assume this isn't their work truck lol. so as for the painted pieces standing up to gravel, logs of wood, hammers and screwdrivers...naaaahhh it wont. can you spray interior cleaners on it and keep it clean...yep!

typically your door panels dont get much abuse other than maybe your shoe scraping along the bottom when you get out or in and from grabbing the pulls and handles to open.

so yea...you have to pay attention to the painted surfaces making sure you're not grinding hard things against them. but i never do that to any vehicle i'm trying to restore the interior of lol.

heres my jeep that i recently finished the interior of. i used duplicolor vinyl/fabric on all vinyl and plastic.

cf7a8930-b4b8-4b8b-8385-9edc27cbf1c0_zpsd97796ca.jpg

DSCF8704_zps681c34f1.jpg

DSCF8673_zps147c357e.jpg

DSCF8713_zps2e80b3d2.jpg

[/IMG]http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r559/tkooliver2/DSCF8718_zpsc1ec1061.jpg[/IMG]

DSCF8812_zps3f2b6980.jpg

DSCF8826_zpsdcdb9db2.jpg

and here it is today....several months later and several thousand miles later. just drove it with the wife and kids all the way to florida for a couple weeks and back. still looks exactly the same :)

DSCF8928_zps635ece6d.jpg

so for those that think painting interior pieces won't hold up or last they are wrong. you just have to treat painted surfaces differently. that's all.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
op i don't wanna hijack your build thread with my door panels lol. i ave a certain way of prepping, painting and maintaining painted interior pieces.

if one is going to go through the trouble of refurbishing interior vinyl/plastic then i would assume this isn't their work truck lol. so as for the painted pieces standing up to gravel, logs of wood, hammers and screwdrivers...naaaahhh it wont. can you spray interior cleaners on it and keep it clean...yep!

typically your door panels dont get much abuse other than maybe your shoe scraping along the bottom when you get out or in and from grabbing the pulls and handles to open.

so yea...you have to pay attention to the painted surfaces making sure you're not grinding hard things against them. but i never do that to any vehicle i'm trying to restore the interior of lol.

heres my jeep that i recently finished the interior of. i used duplicolor vinyl/fabric on all vinyl and plastic.

cf7a8930-b4b8-4b8b-8385-9edc27cbf1c0_zpsd97796ca.jpg

DSCF8704_zps681c34f1.jpg

DSCF8673_zps147c357e.jpg

DSCF8713_zps2e80b3d2.jpg

[/IMG]http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r559/tkooliver2/DSCF8718_zpsc1ec1061.jpg[/IMG]

DSCF8812_zps3f2b6980.jpg

DSCF8826_zpsdcdb9db2.jpg

and here it is today....several months later and several thousand miles later. just drove it with the wife and kids all the way to florida for a couple weeks and back. still looks exactly the same :)

DSCF8928_zps635ece6d.jpg

so for those that think painting interior pieces won't hold up or last they are wrong. you just have to treat painted surfaces differently. that's all.

Hey, no hijack done here, Ill just add more pictures so people look at mine lol. The pull handles on my car are made black already so the piece that gets the most abuse should be ok. Now when it comes to prep for the panel and the vinyl insert, how do I need to do that?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
looking at that jeep its no where near the same materials as our sn's. The jeep is all plastic where our mustangs have vinyl wrapped over the panels. @g36 monkey gave me is door panels for the cost of shipping because he tried to pain them black and it just ended up with the majority of the material blistering and lifting. I didn't care because I was going to cut them all to hell to make space for the 9" woofer enclosures in the doors and would wrap them afterwards but when I got them the only way to save them would have been to strip them and then wrap them again. I don't know what paint/dye he used and tony had probably dyed vinyl before so hopefully he knows what brands will not effect the adhesive. I think it was more the chemical propellants used to pressurize the can and shoot it out but I am not for sure there.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Now when it comes to prep for the panel and the vinyl insert, how do I need to do that?
first thing i do is SOAK it in rubbing alcohol. let it sit on it for about 10 mins and use green scotchbrite pads to scrub every where.

then after it dries completely i use adhesion promoter. duplicolor makes it and it's usually at autozone. 2-3 thin coats of that. then plastic primer...works great on hard vinyl too (like the sn door panels). 2 thin coats of that. then the paint/dye. 3-4 coats letting it tack up about 15 mins or less between coats. you can clear it if you think you will be rough on it but it's not really necessary for pieces that just get typical use. do those steps and it will hold up fine.
[MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION] i've never had paint/dye cause the vinyl to lift from the surface lol. ever. i don't know how it would honestly but i'm sure it can somehow. unless he just sprayed such heavy coats it was able to find its way under the vinyl??? idk man lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
by soaking it in alcohol I assume you mean with a really wet rag and not just throwing it in a bucket right?

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
by soaking it in alcohol I assume you mean with a really wet rag and not just throwing it in a bucket right?

lol i don't know of a bucket that you can set a door panel in but no....don't let it sit in a gigantic door panel bucket. use a spray bottle :thumbsup:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just wanted to clarify for him as you were showing pic of smaller pieces that you could have done that too. I just wanted to be sure that "let it soak for 10 mins" wasn't taken literally as if he did manage to let a wrapped part soak I am pretty sure that it would just peel the vinyl right off. Did you do the panels on your mustang? I can't remember and if you did and he ended up with a panel like [MENTION=10997]g36 monkey[/MENTION] then he would not be happy. With the way the panel is peeling already I would be careful with the alcohol and just use a rag to apply the alcohol.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
yea scott i just did my panels in the mustang. my vinyl was good though. no peeling. if it were me i would address the peeling vinyl befor i bothered refinishing it.

op if you can get a pic of your panel where its peeling i may be able to help ya get it back down.

Kboss87

Reaction score
Isn't it funny how one thing just leads to another with cars. First you are just going to repair the engine, then while you're at it you decide to clean the engine bay, then you decide to paint the entire engine bay. Ohh the love of this hobby!

Looks great by the way!

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
yea scott i just did my panels in the mustang. my vinyl was good though. no peeling. if it were me i would address the peeling vinyl befor i bothered refinishing it.

op if you can get a pic of your panel where its peeling i may be able to help ya get it back down.

Th bubbles in these pictures are the parts that worry me.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how one thing just leads to another with cars. First you are just going to repair the engine, then while you're at it you decide to clean the engine bay, then you decide to paint the entire engine bay. Ohh the love of this hobby!

Looks great by the way!

Thanks a whole lot man! I really didn't think it was going to go this far, I really just wanted to repair and drive it but its not that simple lol

Tony

Legend
Reaction score

Th bubbles in these pictures are the parts that worry me.

ooohh shit lol. yea that's rough man. not much you can do besides peeling it back and reapplying glue lol. maybe try a heat gun. it may soften up the glue underneath enough to reattach the vinyl. worth a shot

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
just be careful not to scortch the vinyl. quick passes over it.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I just went outside and looked at the panels and come to find out the heat helped a lot. All the bubbles are gone now. the only bad part is at the bottom where your elbow sits has separated some.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I just went outside and looked at the panels and come to find out the heat helped a lot. All the bubbles are gone now. the only bad part is at the bottom where your elbow sits has separated some.

that area i also had problems with in my old gt. i just peeled it back to where the bubbles started. then applied some 3m adhesive...let it tack up for about 10 mins...then pressed it back down while running a heat gun across it. worked perfect. both door panels.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
that area i also had problems with in my old gt. i just peeled it back to where the bubbles started. then applied some 3m adhesive...let it tack up for about 10 mins...then pressed it back down while running a heat gun across it. worked perfect. both door panels.

I have the 3m spray adhesive and a heat gun here at my shop. I think I might do that today, sorry to bug you but how does that vinyl peel back? The quick look I did made it look like its under the plastic.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I have the 3m spray adhesive and a heat gun here at my shop. I think I might do that today, sorry to bug you but how does that vinyl peel back? The quick look I did made it look like its under the plastic.

nah man you're not bugging you're cool.

the plastic door cup pops off. then the underside hast some phillips head screws that will let ya take the switch panel out. then you'll see where the vinyl starts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online